primary fermentation questions..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAreWhyAyEn

Still fine tuning
Reaction score
So im making mezza luna rouge vr kit. I started it wednesday march 28th. today is april 1st. It fermented furiously on days 2-3-4. today it has slowed a little. Temps were as follows

Starting temp 75.. day 2 and 3- 74 day 4-73 today (day 5) 73. Tested SG today, and im at 1.016 (OG was 1.090). took a tiny little taste and its still pretty sweet tasting.

So here are my questions...

1. The directions with the kit say nothing about stirring, should i be stirring the mixture?
2. Kit says 5-7 days in primary fermentor... rack at 1.010 or below. how low should i let it get before racking?
3. at 1.016 should it still taste sweet?

Thank you in advance!

-Ryan

So im making mezza luna rouge vr kit. I started it wednesday march 28th. today is april 1st. It fermented furiously on days 2-3-4. today it has slowed a little. Temps were as follows

Starting temp 75.. day 2 and 3- 74 day 4-73 today (day 5) 73. Tested SG today, and im at 1.016 (OG was 1.090). took a tiny little taste and its still pretty sweet tasting.

So here are my questions...

1. The directions with the kit say nothing about stirring, should i be stirring the mixture?
Stick with the instructions. No need to stir.
2. Kit says 5-7 days in primary fermentor... rack at 1.010 or below. how low should i let it get before racking?
Again stick to the directions and rack at 1.01
3. at 1.016 should it still taste sweet?
Yes at 1.016 your wine is sweet and has not finished fermenting to dry yet.

Thank you in advance!

-Ryan

These are all good questions and please keep asking anything you're not sure about as you progress with this kit.

okay so i just did my first rack. sg was 1.006 before racking. to avoid transferring sediment, i ended up with the wine being about 4-6 inches from the airlock bung. is this okay? i dont have any wine in the house to top it off with...

You should be fine for a day or so but you really should top it off as soon as possible, a couple inches from the airlock bung and you should be good.

Hopefully, you saved all that sediment in a small bottle with an airlock. In a couple of days you can pour off the top and save having to top off with too much other wine.

okay so i just did my first rack. sg was 1.006 before racking. to avoid transferring sediment, i ended up with the wine being about 4-6 inches from the airlock bung. is this okay? i dont have any wine in the house to top it off with...

Your wine is still in secondary fermentation. There is no need to top off a wine that is still in secondary. Once fermentation is complete and you rack again, you will then need to top off.

Hopefully, you saved all that sediment in a small bottle with an airlock. In a couple of days you can pour off the top and save having to top off with too much other wine.

I put the sediment/slurry in a jar in the refrigerator so i can put it in my skeeter pee tomorrow :) it wasnt much though, only about 12 ounces.alot of it was absorbed in and stuck to the woodchips.

Your wine is still in secondary fermentation. There is no need to top off a wine that is still in secondary. Once fermentation is complete and you rack again, you will then need to top off.

Sweet that's the answer i was hoping for. Thanks robie.

okay, it has been 5 days since i put my red wine (VR Mezza Luna Rouge Kit) into the carboy and the bubbling has completely stopped. If i am at .998 can i degas and start cleaing process or should i wait the other 5 days as in the directions? (directions say ten days). Thank you in advance

If you have been been at the same SG for 3 straight days, you can go ahead a stabilize, degas and start the clearing process.

Latest posts

Back