WineXpert Primary Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyd

Junior
Reaction score
I tried a search and couldn;t find answer, some sites yell at you if you ask a question w/o searching.

Anyway I am a newbie here- I am making my first wine kit, a Cabernet/Merlot from Winexpert, a 15l kit. I started primary fermentation and am following directions. My question is, do you do the primary with a lid and airlock or cheesecloth to provide oxygen to the yeast. I have seen both ways mentioned in my research. I am currently using cheesecloth on day2 - no bubbling yet, just a little foam. Thanks

I would put the lid on it with an airlock garyd. The kits do not require a daily stirring as other wines do.

I assure you that you will find no one yelling on this forum. Edited by: Waldo

I concur with Waldo as I like to put on the cover with airlock to keep out all the unwanted debris or insects.

It can be done both ways as you have found in researching it and it comes down to personal preference.

I prefer the airlock method as my wine making area is shared with the bar dog. Less likely to get unwanted bar dog hair in my must with the airlock. Oxygen can be introduced by vigorous stirring of the grape juice before pitching yeast. (I use a HUGE whisk (the capitals of the word HUGE indicate emphasis, I am not yelling.))
smiley2.gif

With 2 cats in the house we use the lid and airlock ... We just "place the lid on the bucket for the first day with a cloth napkin over the air hole. When activity picks up (day 2) we "snap" the lid into place and add the air lock.

We are new to the hobby, but so far this method has worked well for us. Good Luck! mwm

Okay, room temp. is 70, must is at 74, very little bubbling, SG has only gone from 1.090 to 1.065 in 4 days is this about right??

You are half way through the primary fermation and your sg is half way there, I think you are right on track. wait till day 7 and if your sg is still a little low wait a day to check it again. waiting is the hardest part of wine making.

As written in your kit instructions your target SG to rack to secondary is 1.010 and day 6 or 7 should be right on.

smiley2.gif
Now What?????

Everything is like you guys say, I was just a little overanxious I guess- Day 7, SG is 1.000 after 3 days of very active fermentation. I racked it to a carboy and have to wait 10 days before the next step.

Sooooo, what to do now, hmmmm, how about starting another kit, WE White Merlot, then maybe Old Vine Zinfandel, then Australian Shiraz, then........... I can see the carboys stackin' up like firewood. How do you guys chill, or do you just keep rackin" Thanks for your help.

Gary,

I can REALLY understand what you are going through. I have a notorious reputation for being a very impatient person. Oh, sure, it's easy for those who have been doing this for some time to say "be patient". They have lots of wine to enjoy. We newbies still have several months to go before we can really enjoy our wine.

My suggestion? clean bottles, design labels, research your wine, or take strange pictures of your self in wacky get-ups with a bottle of dish-washing detergent. The possibilities are endless.Edited by: HollowOakWine

smiley36.gif
"or take strange pictures of your self in wacky get-ups with a bottle of dish-washing detergent."

ok now THAT one has us wondering LOL

Wow! You really are a newbie! Look around the forum a while, and you will figure it out.

smiley36.gif

HollowOakWine said:
Gary,

I can REALLY understand what you are going through. I have a notorious reputation for being a very impatient person. Oh, sure, it's easy for those who have been doing this for some time to say "be patient". They have lots of wine to enjoy. We newbies still have several months to go before we can really enjoy our wine.

My suggestion? clean bottles, design labels, research your wine, or take strange pictures of your self in wacky get-ups with a bottle of dish-washing detergent. The possibilities are endless.

I have overcome this dilema by doing the following. With each batch of wine I have made thus far (Except for Mead and Habanero) I have bought a bottle or two of the same type wine I am making for a twofold purpose. One, to give me an idea of what the wine will be like when it is ready and secondly to have a similiar type wine to use for topping up when needed.

garyd said:
smiley2.gif
Now What?????

Everything is like you guys say, I was just a little overanxious I guess- Day 7, SG is 1.000 after 3 days of very active fermentation. I racked it to a carboy and have to wait 10 days before the next step.

Sooooo, what to do now, hmmmm, how about starting another kit, WE White Merlot, then maybe Old Vine Zinfandel, then Australian Shiraz, then........... I can see the carboys stackin' up like firewood. How do you guys chill, or do you just keep rackin" Thanks for your help.
You are correct, they do start stacking up. We just got back from a week vacation. Walked in the door, dropped the suitcases. Didn't even unpack. Went right to my primary that I have a kit of Bourgeron Rouge going in. Racked it to the secondary and then started another kit of Chablis. Then the chore of cleaning everything up. So in my first 2 hours home from being gone a week, I went right to the wine and got the "chores" done then I was able to sit back and relax.

Smurfe

OK, ummmm,yeah- looks like I've gotten myself onto one of THOSE forums LOL!!!!

Ok- I see a lot of people keep their kit wines in bulk aging for many months- yet many of you have said to follow the kit instructions- which of course get it into the bottle in 6-8 weeks. Which is better and why???

Also after I stir in fining and clearing agents and whip to a frenzy- after it settles and I rerack it= should I or could I degass again- I saw somewhere where a kit said degass 3 times a day for 3 days- might this be better as I see many complain about gassy wines. Thanks trying to get all my ducks in row.

Back