Press or wait

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
This batch of Cab Sauv is fermenting pretty slow in the primary. After two weeks it has only reached sg=1.040( 1.114 at start ). The cap thinned a little but not much, and it is still fizzing and bubbling. I plan to press tomorrow, is sg 1.04 too high for doing that?

I'd be more concerned about the rate of fermentation. I assume your SG is still moving. What are your must and ambient temps? I think after two weeks on the skins, you should probably press.

I'd be more concerned about the rate of fermentation. I assume your SG is still moving. What are your must and ambient temps? I think after two weeks on the skins, you should probably press.

SG is moving, it was 1.054 two days ago. It is in my garage so the temperature is 50/60 and the must temperature is in the low 70s. I put insulation around it and a heat lamp on the lid on Friday and punched down more often in the last two days.

OK, so maybe the cooler temps are to blame. Sounds like you're moving along, albeit slowly. I think two weeks is about as much time as you'd ever want on the skins, though I've only done a few all grape batches so far. I'd press.

I am thinking of pitching ML bacteria right after press, while the fermentation is still going (sg=1.04). Any adverse effect starting MLF while sg is still above 1.0?

With your sugar so high, I'd expect you may never see it get down to 1.000. I expect you will have to add sorbate at some point. Am I wrong in saying that sorbate and MLF should not be mixed? By that I mean add sorbate, but don't do the MLF.

Have you fed the yeast at all with nutrient of some sort? What strain of yeast are you using? I don't think the sugar was too high at the start. It will be fairly high in alcohol, but not extreme for a full bodied red. I would feed it some more nutrient (even DAP is better than none at all), leave it alone until a bit more dry, press and then innoculate with MLB along with some MLF nutrient.

I haven't used any nutrient since I have no idea what YAN my must has. The yeast is Red Start Premier Cuvee. I plan to press today because I am at home today or I have to wait till Saturday. I imagine it will be dry by then but then it would be 18 day's of fermentation with skin. Once pressed I can move the carboys in door so it should finish faster.

Pressing is a decision I make based on the color and aroma of the wine. I find that 6 days is more than enough for most reds (provided you are punching down at least twice a day.

I would go ahead and press it if you are happy with what the maceration has given to your wine. If the SG is still high, place the pressed wine into a primary fermenter or leave a good amount of room in your secondary (since the wine is still working).

I would wait on MLF and only do MLF on a dry wine. Although there is only a slim chance, bad things can happen when doing MLF in the presence of sugar.

Thanks to all for your input. I pressed yesterday. Do these seeds look green or brown to you?
15531983431_58d5db53e0_b.jpg

Back