presoaking oak cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskie003

Reaction score
so I use oak cubes (French-medium toast if that makes a difference) in my winemaking process. I always add them into my secondary container (glass carboy) for bulk aging. however, after about ten days or so I always have to open my container to top off the juice bc the headspace has gotten too much bc all the oak cubes are absorbing liquid. I hate doing it this way so I want to start presoaking them.

whats the best way in public opinion? throw them in with the juice in primary? water? and if you use anything other than the juice that you're going to place into the secondary anyway, is there any "flavor loss" from the cubes?

thanks

Are you are using an enormous amount of oak cubes, I have never observed any significant decrease in volume due to them soaking up wine. If you want to pre-soak them, I would use a bit of the wine you would top it up with to soak them in and then add them.

I haven't really noticed a similar problem but only add about 1/2 to 1 cup of cubes at a time. I just top up with wine but I guess I'd go with putting them in the primary rather than water or unfermented juice if I had to. I'd just hate to give up any of the oak flavor to water that's going to be tossed away.
Mike

The only time you would loose volume to oak cubes soaking up the wine is when you take them out. You can't loose volume if they are still in the carboy. The wine is still there; just inside the cubes. Even to make a difference when taken out you would have to be putting them in by the shovel full. The reality is when the cubes are put in the volume increases because the cubes displace the liquid.

I agree that you can't lose volume compared to before adding the cubes, but it is definitely possible to lose volume after adding the cubes.

However, that is likely going to be offset by the fact that the dry cubes should float above the wine level.

I also have never noticed a drop in liquid level from adding cubes

interesting. I always assumed it was the oak cubes. so from the time I put the juice into the secondary (when SG is right around 1.000) and add dry oak cubes - about ten days after (usually) the level of the juice in my carboy ALWAYS drops about an inch in the neck. I suppose it could be gas blowing off thru the airlock, but that seems like a lot to me. that ten day mark is when I usually start to see some of the cubes that were previously floating now starting to sink. I got some extra cubes - I'm gonna have to conduct an experiment!

If the wine is in your carboy
and the oak cubes are in your wine...
and the oak cubes absorb wine...
the wine is still in the carboy.

Physics don't lie.

Okay, here is a Physics quiz: You put a BIG rock into a rowboat, and then row out to the middle of a lake. Then you take the rock, and throw it overboard. Comparing the lake water levels just before and just after you throw the rock overboard, does the water level of the lake go up, or does it go down, or does it stay the same?

(Note: I have edited this question to clarify, as it was not well-phrased initially. Hat tip to BernardSmith, who pointed this out in the next post down.)

Last edited:
Is the answer gonna be different if, from the bank, you simply heaved the big rock into the water or dropped the rock from a aeroplane?

Suppose the cubes have air trapped inside that is released slowly over 10 days? Would the cubes then be displacing less wine? If a big plastic ball containing air is attached to the bottom of the carboy, and a hole is made on top, and it fills with wine, wouldn't the level go down as the air escapes?

For the record, I think the original problem is just degassing. So I'm speaking theoretically.

Is the answer gonna be different if, from the bank, you simply heaved the big rock into the water or dropped the rock from a aeroplane?

I can now see that my post was not clear. I meant, will the level be higher when the rock is in the boat, or after you drop it over the side of the gunwhale.

I will edit the original to clarify.

Suppose the cubes have air trapped inside that is released slowly over 10 days? Would the cubes then be displacing less wine? If a big plastic ball containing air is attached to the bottom of the carboy, and a hole is made on top, and it fills with wine, wouldn't the level go down as the air escapes?

For the record, I think the original problem is just degassing. So I'm speaking theoretically.

But the case you cite is not analogous. In your hypothetical case, the ball is displacing its entire volume. If you, instead, just floated the ball on top of the wine (as you would with oak cubes), it would only displace a volume equal to the volume of water that has the same mass as the ball.

Coincidentally, I added oak cubes to one of my wines last night. The cubes floated, but only a very small volume was above the surface.

Answer to @sour_grapes: the lake level will actually go down immediately after throwing the rock in the water. The reason is that in the boat the weight of the rock caused the boat to displace the same weight of water which because water is less dense means more volume. When you throw the rock into the water it sinks, due to its higher density, but because it takes up less volume than the same weight of water there is a net volume decrease.

Answer to @BernardSmith: yes, very different. When thrown from the bank the rock will simply raise the lake level by the volume of the rock. Now, if the boat from sour_grapes question above were pulled ashore, the lake would be at the same level in both cases.

Answer to @syncnite: Assuming the cubes are still floating at the end (as far as I can tell they never sink in winemaking timeframes) then the liquid level will stay essentially the same. The reason is that none of the matter in the carboy is changing state or density. So while some of the wine will soak into the cubes thus causing the cubes to float lower in the wine, the equivalent weight of displaced air from the cubes takes the same volume as the cubes now displace in the wine. If the density of cubes themselves were significantly higher than the wine then you would see the level dropping as the wine soaked into the cubes.

Of course I made many assumptions in those overly simplistic explanation, but the net effect of all of them don't change the outcome significantly.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding! @jsiddall gets the gold star! And a very good explanation, too -- thank you.

This is relevant to the problem at hand. Imagine that, instead of throwing the rock overboard, the rowboat developed a leak, and the whole boat (and rock) sank. The lake level would go down, as jsiddall noted. This is close to the situation we have with the oak cubes. It is possible for the wine level to go down after the cubes get saturated. But the effect is very small. (See post #13.)

haha. I didn't think I was gonna stir up a physics debate. let alone one with a ton of hypotheticals. I did an experiment for you guys. didn't have an empty 5gal carboy to use so I used a one gal jug with an airlock and stopper, filled with water, and added 3/4 cup of dry oak cubes.

not sure if these pics will show up or not but.....
in the first pic and second, its hard to see but there is a black sharpie mark on the jug indicating the level of the water
in the second and third pic, notice the sharpie line now...that's only 12 hours later!

so perhaps physics don't exist in my basement, but it appears that oak cubes can soak up liquid and lower your level to create more air space. wood is porous, but its also buoyant. all those cubes appear submerged but they're actually kinda floating trying to all push their way out of the neck. its not changing the physical volume of liquid in the container, but tis moving it into spaces previously occupied by air. so in a sense, the air that was once in the pores of the cubes is now at the top, just under the stopper.

if u drop a tree trunk in a river, its gonna float. but it'll eventually become saturated and sink.

im sure in the 5gal carboy of wine, there is also some degassing, but I don't think my water is fermenting.

so back to my initial question - do u guys think soaking in the bucket during primary with the juice is better, or do you worry about any kind of contamination and soak it in a distilled water and lose some flavor?

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_9014.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

Good on you for doing the experiment! It is nice to see validation of theory!

I agree with Greg. If you really want to presoak them, presoak them with the wine you would use to top off the carboy. You can think of it as "pre-topping off" if you want.

Or, of course, you could just top off later.

haha. I didn't think I was gonna stir up a physics debate. let alone one with a ton of hypotheticals. I did an experiment for you guys. didn't have an empty 5gal carboy to use so I used a one gal jug with an airlock and stopper, filled with water, and added 3/4 cup of dry oak cubes.

Unfortunately your experiment has some other real-world effects that are dominating the result. In your case, the friction between the cubes and the carboy are causing a "log jam" of sorts at the neck. As a result, cubes that would otherwise be floating on the surface of the liquid are in fact pushed below the surface. The dominant effect is that low density cubes forced below the liquid level artificially raised the level. As the liquid soaks into the cubes and displaces air the net density increases and the liquid level drops as you witnessed.

Maybe that was the original question after all!

I agree with @jsiddall 's analysis, but note that the "friction" or "jamming" action is an important component of it. Otherwise, it would not matter if there were many small pieces or one big one. (Not that he or she implied otherwise.) In absence of jamming, one would expect the same volume of wood to be above the surface whether the cubes are floating separately on the surface or together in the neck.

Interestingly, with that modification (of jamming), it makes the situation closer to @syncnite 's analogy, where the body is being artificially held below the surface, instead of floating.

How about this analogous physics experiment:

Fill two graduated cylinders halfway with water. Let's say that is 10 cc for a 20 cc cylinder.

Into GC1, add 1 cc of a non-porous rock. Maybe a solid stainless steel marble (doesn't rust) or otherwise chemically react with the water for a short period of time.
Into GC2, add 1 cc of a porous rock. Something that is dense enough to sink. Volcanic rock?

Immediately after adding the rock, the two GC's will read the same.

After a while, the porous rock will absorb some of the water, and the internal gas will be displaced. The water level in GC2 will have dropped, whereas the water level in GC1 will have remained unchanged.

So, assuming that the oak cubes sink naturally, they initially have air pockets that allows the oak cubes to absorb wine, like a sponge. Assuming the oak cube swells less than the volume of water it absorbs, then the wine level in the carboy will drop over time.

The only difference "jamming" would have is that it allows the oak cube to be submerged while being less dense than wine. But, the effect is still the same.

Latest posts

Back