Potatoe Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frjen

Reaction score
My potatoe wine has turned into a sticky goo after 24 hours of natural fermentation. Shouldi keep it, or make a new batch ?

I think that the question is, "Why wouldn't you introduce a yeast of your choosing?"

I rather think the question was why ferment potatoes? But although I have never tried to make potato wine I have a book (no date of publication, but it looks like a late 19th Century publication. early 20th) that contains two different recipes for potato wine... neither of them are very um... convincing... but clearly this was a wine that was made in the rural past - one recipe involves boiling the tubers and using the resulting liquid and the other is more similar to banana wine where the potatoes are not cooked in the liquor but mashed and the resulting mash forms the basis of the wine... But both these wines require additional sugar and raisins and the like...

I'm thinking you have rotten potatoes. Many low budget wines are available; skeeter pee,apple and OJ and such. I have seen potatoes as an ingredient in a beer B4 but see no use to starch up any wine.

I'm thinking you have rotten potatoes. Many low budget wines are available; skeeter pee,apple and OJ and such. I have seen potatoes as an ingredient in a beer B4 but see no use to starch up any wine.

I dunno...What about banana wine (that can be very delicious) and weren't the British famous (notorious?) for their parsnip, carrot and their peapod wines? Vegetable wines have a long and lustrous folk history. The starches presumably are converted to simple sugars and the yeast doesn't care where the sugars came from

Maybe tastebuds are an issue as I dumped 5gals of banana wine that never matured

Latest posts

Back