Pot K (sorbastat)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvbutter

Reaction score
I know some chemicals have issues... like Meta is hydrophilic and so it absorbs water after time, Pectin enzyme will wear out or just plain become ineffective. What about Pot K? I have some wines I know i added the directed amount of Pot K and Meta to after adding sugar when bottling, and yet some bottles have fizzy, and some jugs still show bubbling in the air lock. What gives?

Pot K,,,,and meta??? "K" is the chemical designation for Potassium and "meta" is just short for Metabisulfite. Hence "K-meta" short form of Potassium metabisulfite,,,,,, used to hold wild yeasts at bay. There is also Potassium Sorbate,,, used to stunt the yeast used in fermentation so as to prevent refermentation if you backsweeten your batch to your taste

Is your ferment totally done? The k-meta will stun the yeast. The sorbate stops the yeast from reproducing. If the ferment is still going, you will likely have some live yeast left in it that will get by the k-meta. Then if you add sugar, things can take off again. Also is it degassed? If not that can leave it fizzy and will keep the airlock moving as it degasses on its own. Use your hydrometer to tell if things have progressed to the point you are done fermenting and ready to degass, stabalize, sweeten if needed and bottle. Arne.

degas,degas,degas....tiny bubbles in the wine, after it has been stabalized is probably co2..rising

Floandgary,
I call it Pot K around the house, sorry Sorbistat K.

Arne,
Yes it was completely done. After time I added sugar to sweet'n it up a bit. It was about 2yr old, so from what I read, degassing is not necessary.

Sal, Nope still nice white little capsules/tubes.

Back