Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday my son & I bottled a Rhone style blend and a Super Tuscan. We settled fairly easily on the Rhone label, using a scene from the Rhone Valley as the background:

2021-rhone-eric-tinified.png

2021-rhone-bryan-tinified.png

We do half the labels with his logo (sword/vine/grapes) and half with mine (grape warrior).

We tried a dozen different backgrounds, but couldn't decide on a background for the Super Tuscan. A while back @Kraffty posted a time-elapsed star trail picture, and that caught my fancy. With his permission, I prototyped the label (we went through 8 designs!) and settled on these:

2021-super-tuscan-eric-tinified.png

2021-super-tuscan-bryan-tinified.png

My only dissatisfaction is that very few programs can handle hi-res graphics, so Kraffty's excellent picture is "dumbed down", not showing the beautiful detail of the original.

EDIT: Very few programs that do labels well (e.g., scaling a single label across the page) handle hi-res graphics.

Last edited:
Note on background images for my labels -- I normally choose something that fits the wine in some way. The labels in post #2812 are good examples -- the labels reflect the fruit OR are wine related, e.g., tasting/barrel rooms.

@Kraffty's photo is the outlier -- I liked the photo so much that we retrofitted to fit the photo. I suck at making up names (Melange de style Rhone should be translatable even if you don't speak French). "Dark of Night" just came to me, and my son & niece are happy with it, so it worked!

Just a bit of interest, maybe.

9 November, 2022

Badische Sektmanufaktur Heinz Wagner dispenses with paper labels​

To save resources, the bottles will be printed directly from now on​

The sparkling wine manufacturer Heinz Wagner from St. Blasien in the Black Forest is doing away with paper labels with immediate effect. The company, founded in 2020, will in the future print the sparkling wine bottles on site using the "no paper label" method in order to save resources. Above all, water consumption can be reduced enormously with the new solution. According to the Initiative Pro Recyclingpapier, 0.3 litres of water are needed to produce a DIN A4 sheet of office paper from virgin fibres. According to this calculation, the sparkling wine producer assumes that it could save up to 20,000 litres of water a year by printing the bottles directly. In addition, the consumption of electricity, wood, chemicals and plastic would be reduced because most paper labels are supplied on a carrier film, which is usually made of plastic.

Maximilian Wagner, founder of Heinz Wagner Sekt, says of the innovative packaging: "'No Paper Label' is a project close to our hearts. We put a lot of love into the production of our sparkling wine, a natural product that we want to produce as sustainably as possible. Printing directly on bottles is actually a simple idea, but one that can achieve a lot if everyone joins in. With our campaign, we hope to inspire other producers to follow suit and in the future do without paper labels."

I'm working on a little 'rebranding'. I have been looking around the internet to get ideas. I thought I would share what I have got so far. I need 6 for everything I have bottled currently, so I have a couple more to go.

I am aiming for a more professional look and I am likely going to have to order custom printed labels because I can't find print to edge labels in the sizes I want.

Figured I should get feedback before shelling out the cash on a custom order. The hard part is picturing the whites on clear bottles. I really like the Pinot Grigio and think it will work well on a clear bottle, but I wonder if the Pinot Gris design would look better on a red?

1669937737810.png

1669937829901.png

1669938207611.png
1669938967703.png

I'm working on a little 'rebranding'.
I like all 4 designs.

For the Pinot Gris, use white capsules, white labels, on clear bottles.

I'd use the large claw logo on heavy reds. The second one (teal stripe) I'd use on Bordeaux style wines (Merlot or CS based). As much as I like the first one, it's looks "empty" compared to the others.

EDIT: You just posted the Pinot Gris with a light green screw cap -- that one kicks ass. Go with that color in a capsule, instead of white.

EDIT: You just posted the Pinot Gris with a light green screw cap -- that one kicks ass. Go with that color in a capsule, instead of white.
Thanks!

I agree it's a good match. Unfortunately I already put capsules on. I had to keep track of them somehow! I have silver and black on the whites, so it will have to be silver.

As much as I like the first one, it's looks "empty" compared to the others.
I was aiming for classy, empty is close!😂

Bryan & Dave have put a lot of time and thought into their labels .... congrats you've both knocked it out of the park. I love them! You've got me re-thinking what I've been doing with my bottle labels and for that I'm mad at you both. 😄
If it makes you feel better, Crushday was the one that got me re-thinking my labels. He makes us all look like amateurs.

1669997019544.png

If it makes you feel better, Crushday was the one that got me re-thinking my labels. He makes us all look like amateurs.

View attachment 95889
If you want to make them look better, lay them down and chuck some dust on them. People will think you've got a cellar full of Rare old Vintage Port :D

PS. I'm not suggesting that your wine is not a good vintage. It looks good. 😇

If you want to make them look better, lay them down and chuck some dust on them. People will think you've got a cellar full of Rare old Vintage Port :D

PS. I'm not suggesting that your wine is not a good vintage. It looks good. 😇
Use the dust out of the vacuum, after you empty it. Leaves just enough dust to look authentic..

Just did about 7 cases of 2021 wines with my dad while watching some cold December football. Racked, sulphited, bottled, labels & caps. Was a nice day

forgot my bottling attatchment for the vacuum pump so had to use the cheap backup transfer pump. Then adjusted the levels down with a straw. Not gonna lie, kinda drunk lol.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
Salute! 🥂
3A9DA95C-E807-40F9-9416-7FCE7AE5DE70.jpeg

Latest posts

Back