Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deck Construction Day 15. The decking boards are all attached. I've got 850 screws in the decking with about 80 to go. Almost passed out from heat stroke today. This thing has been kicking my butt. I hurt all over and can barely walk. Next will be some wiring and then the rails.

IMG_3191.JPG

We are also having our septic field replaced. I've fixed it twice myself over the last 33 years but the old one is in a root zone and the only real fix is to move it out of there. So ... Money has been flying out of my pocket faster this spring and summer than it has in quite a few years! I've used the guy doing the backhoe work before and I trust his work.

IMG_3193.JPG

I have wood under plastic that will warp if it is not used. I'll be fine, as long as they keep making Rolling Rock.
Working with treated lumber sucks!

My dad once stickered and dried all his deck boards then installed them a year later without enough of a gap. They swelled so much with the first rain that they sheared screws and boards buckled upwards!

Surprising you couldn’t find a place to charge since Tesla has a very solid network even though there are still areas needing to be covered, but their NACS charging is basically the standard now and every single car manufacturer is now joining the wagon using it.
There were lots of places to charge it. Just none that were convenient enough for a newb in a rental on an expense account. Poor planning on my part to not verify that my hotel offered it. And I figured an old grey beard hanging around the YMCA wasn’t the way to go.

Working with treated lumber sucks!

My dad once stickered and dried all his deck boards then installed them a year later without enough of a gap. They swelled so much with the first rain that they sheared screws and boards buckled upwards!

Absolutely! I already have warped 2x4s because I could not get them used fast enough. Those will be trashed. When you work with treated wood, you must work as fast as possible to minimize waste.

Best method for decking boards I have seen, and one I used, is to keep them covered with plastic until you use them so that you retain as much moisture as possible, and then butt them right up against each other on installation. Once on the deck they dry in the sun and the gaps are nice, even and narrow.

Built my deck 20years ago. Used the fake decking, costs a lot more but there is no maintenance. Still looks as good as when we built it. Arne.

The composite is widely used here on high-end homes but in our hot summertime climate (today's high 97) it is extremely hot to walk on while barefoot or in sandals. Wood is not nearly as hot. Composite here is also highly subject to chalking over time because the sun is so intense. That's why there are so many brick or stone homes here. Most 30-year shingles here last 10-15, which is why my roof is metal.

I priced composite and it runs three times more than wood here at retail. Plus, I got all the wood for this deck at contractor wholesale through my nephew's pallet factory – a big savings. It was nice to get 20-foot decking boards, so there are no joints.

I am coating my deck with One Time, which is damned near a permanent solution if properly applied. That will happen this fall. My nephew the pallet factory guy got tired of staining every two years and so he did One Time over 15 years ago, never has had to redo it, and his extensive deck with built-in pool and Jacuzzi looks great. Not a stain, the product enters the wood cells and seals them off. Check it out...

https://onetimewood.com/

The composite is widely used here on high-end homes but in our hot summertime climate (today's high 97) it is extremely hot to walk on while barefoot or in sandals. Wood is not nearly as hot. Composite here is also highly subject to chalking over time because the sun is so intense. That's why there are so many brick or stone homes here. Most 30-year shingles here last 10-15, which is why my roof is metal.

I priced composite and it runs three times more than wood here at retail. Plus, I got all the wood for this deck at contractor wholesale through my nephew's pallet factory – a big savings. It was nice to get 20-foot decking boards, so there are no joints.

I am coating my deck with One Time, which is damned near a permanent solution if properly applied. That will happen this fall. My nephew the pallet factory guy got tired of staining every two years and so he did One Time over 15 years ago, never has had to redo it, and his extensive deck with built-in pool and Jacuzzi looks great. Not a stain, the product enters the wood cells and seals them off. Check it out...

https://onetimewood.com/
Thanks for the info. I’ll save it for when I replace my deck… likely next summer.

Composite deck boards also have an incredible longitudinal expansion rate. I’ve seen 16’ boards shrink so much in the winter that they fall off the joist where they are butted together. And they are like a skating rink when wet or snow covered.

Latest posts

Back