Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this logo!

I suggest you do more with background color. At this time it probably doesn't matter, but when you have a dozen batches in the racks, quickly identifying wines becomes difficult if the labels all look too much alike. I have a page that displays the labels I have a record of:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/bottle-label-progression/
Skip down to the 2012s and scan through to 2018. In hindsight, the labels have different text but all look alike. Finding things in the racks when you have a dozen batches and anywhere from a few bottles to a few cases of each wine, this can be difficult. I've switched to using a background image, which I fade out using Paint.NET, so each label has common features (winery name, my Grape Warrior logo + tag line OR my son's sword logo), bottling date, ABV), but everything else varies. It makes finding things easier. Plus I like designing labels.

I also have enough capsule colors for 7 or 8 batches, so in a year each batch gets a different color. I buy in lots of 500 so that it will be quite a while before I run out of a color in the middle of a batch.

Food for thought ....

I thought I jumped into the deep end with winemaking.

After seeing that you have an entire site dedicated to your wines, a chronological record of the labels, all your wines, etc. It is clear I'm not even waste deep strolling around in the shallows.

Cool to see, thanks for sharing that.

I have in mind the same idea for the logo as your grape warrior. I too like playing around with the labels.. I can shrink it and put it in a corner, or under a description of the wine or occasion.. I was planning to cap these batches with heat shrink caps. mostly for the fun of it, but it makes sense to identify the wines as well.

Now that these batches are racked I'm already itching to start another couple.. It will be important to have some variation for sure.

What wine goes well with creamed possum ?
I prefer Pinot Noir, although a heavily oaked Chardonnay can work. Cab Sauv & Merlot are too heavy, as are most Rhones. Other whites are overpowered by the gravy.

These all look great, especially the one above! Winemaker81 has very good point in that the label somewhat has to coordinate with the wine and/or bottle color. I'm terrible at visualizing this stuff, so I print out the label on plain paper and make a "mock up" on a filled bottle. I also pick out a shrink capsule (neck band) color that seems to match and drop it over the top. I leave the work in progress on the kitchen counter and get feedback, then make changes.

I really like this logo!

I suggest you do more with background color. At this time it probably doesn't matter, but when you have a dozen batches in the racks, quickly identifying wines becomes difficult if the labels all look too much alike. I have a page that displays the labels I have a record of:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/bottle-label-progression/
Skip down to the 2012s and scan through to 2018. In hindsight, the labels have different text but all look alike. Finding things in the racks when you have a dozen batches and anywhere from a few bottles to a few cases of each wine, this can be difficult. I've switched to using a background image, which I fade out using Paint.NET, so each label has common features (winery name, my Grape Warrior logo + tag line OR my son's sword logo), bottling date, ABV), but everything else varies. It makes finding things easier. Plus I like designing labels.

I also have enough capsule colors for 7 or 8 batches, so in a year each batch gets a different color. I buy in lots of 500 so that it will be quite a while before I run out of a color in the middle of a batch.

Food for thought ....
Nice chronologic progression. I've always been a Fred Gwynne fan!

Nice chronologic progression. I've always been a Fred Gwynne fan!
Thanks! I made the post to give myself an idea of how things progressed.

Fred Gwynne was a great comedic actor, although his mostly serious role in "My Cousin Vinny", where he verbally sparred with Joe Pesci, was fun!

I'm terrible at visualizing this stuff, so I print out the label on plain paper and make a "mock up" on a filled bottle. I also pick out a shrink capsule (neck band) color that seems to match and drop it over the top. I leave the work in progress on the kitchen counter and get feedback, then make changes.
That's a brilliant idea!

After seeing that you have an entire site dedicated to your wines, a chronological record of the labels, all your wines, etc. It is clear I'm not even waste deep strolling around in the shallows.
Keep in mind that I have a few years on you, in which I've gotten organized. ;)

I have in mind the same idea for the logo as your grape warrior. I too like playing around with the labels.. I can shrink it and put it in a corner, or under a description of the wine or occasion.. I was planning to cap these batches with heat shrink caps. mostly for the fun of it, but it makes sense to identify the wines as well.
I have varied the size of my logo over the years -- having an understanding of graphics programs makes this type of thing easy, without having to have a PhD in graphics design. Make sure you have backups of your materials, and keeping messing with it until it works. I like Paint.NET for most graphics manipulation -- it's free but far from easy -- I have to search for a tutorial whenever I need to do something new.

Keep in mind that I have a few years on you, in which I've gotten organized. ;)

It is a very close tie between the amout of time you have been making wine and how long I have been walkin on 2 feet.

Am I correct in the assumption that you dramatically prefer reds? It looks like that is almost all that is in your racks. Unless, of course, that is the red room.

Am I correct in the assumption that you dramatically prefer reds? It looks like that is almost all that is in your racks. Unless, of course, that is the red room.
I drink primarily reds, although the aging time also affects the amounts. Gotta make a lot of red to have some for aging.

In my photos, yellow capsules are metheglin or limoncello (375 ml bottles), and white are white wine or other liqueurs (also 375 ml bottles). Fruit wines vary in capsules color, white for light and red for darker fruits. I have at least a dozen different wines in the cellar, and the colors make it easier.

In my photos, yellow capsules are metheglin or limoncello (375 ml bottles), and white are white wine or other liqueurs (also 375 ml bottles). Fruit wines vary in capsules color, white for light and red for darker fruits. I have at least a dozen different wines in the cellar, and the colors make it easier.
I like to be organized, too. I'm a couple weeks away from bottling my first wine and I already have multiple colors for color coding. I thought maybe I was being just a wee bit crazy.

Now if I can just stay away from my p-touch label maker! 😂

Oh, and I love your cellar!

Back