Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going to have to update us over the next few weeks. I am so underwhelmed by all the choices, I have decided to do nothing!

I was seriously looking at these two years ago when they first came out. There were some bugs (not unexpected) and I waited. But me talking about them was enough for a friend or two to take the plunge. Initially, they were good, but not without some frustrations. Software updates and the reengineering/replacement of a couple parts by Weber have made them issue free, happy campers for quite a while now. This recent version was released with a few upgrades, and I finally decided to get in the game. I've been using the charcoal grill and smoker less and less, but miss that wood flavor. I think this will give me the convenience of propane but the essence of cooking over charcoal. The initial 'burn-in' was a breeze. Aside from putting pellets into the hopper, pretty much like setting your oven. Set temp, start, and you're off. And the ability to smoke at 200F or sear at 600F doesn't hurt.

I was seriously looking at these two years ago when they first came out. There were some bugs (not unexpected) and I waited. But me talking about them was enough for a friend or two to take the plunge. Initially, they were good, but not without some frustrations. Software updates and the reengineering/replacement of a couple parts by Weber have made them issue free, happy campers for quite a while now. This recent version was released with a few upgrades, and I finally decided to get in the game. I've been using the charcoal grill and smoker less and less, but miss that wood flavor. I think this will give me the convenience of propane but the essence of cooking over charcoal. The initial 'burn-in' was a breeze. Aside from putting pellets into the hopper, pretty much like setting your oven. Set temp, start, and you're off. And the ability to smoke at 200F or sear at 600F doesn't hurt.
Everyone has Traegers here. I think they max out a 450, so a sear is a hard no. Some things I won't sacrifice. This however, has potential.

All I know is apparently smoked nachos are the best thing pellet grills have going for them. I eagerly await your report! 😎

@vinny. I’m just poking the bear! I’ve never had a gas grill, I just give up grilling in the winter months. My fish and sausage smoker however is propane fired.

Lots of folks here have the pellet grills. I can see how they would be useful for the low-and -slow cooking. Personally I would like to make a proper wood fired smoker/barbecue some day.

Hail Seizure! 🤣 Moved wood to the job site from the storage area and worked on the deck until my muscles seized up really well. I figured they would, after yesterday crawling under the house and now 7 hours of this, so took a bunch of magnesium this morning, Didn't help. Wifie helped me out big-time at the end by gathering up my tools, as I was literally nearing incoherence. Fortunately, acetaminophen and Jameson are helping now. Still seizing some as I type, though.

IMG_3143.JPG

This is a busy little area, near the house. The 2x4s will carry a summertime water pipe to get wifie's plant water to the other side of the deck from the house spigot. There will be an electrical outlet coming up the railing post on the far end. Drilled through the concrete rock joints yesterday for it. Need to drill through the wood for it and then mount the next joist up. The 2x6 is sistered because I had to notch the 2x8 joist to allow full ingress for the access panel.

IMG_3144.JPG

One thing about it, this baby is 100% square! I insist that decks I build are fully supported underneath, so everything has to be square. There is no fudge room. But I have seen what happens long-term to those decks where the outer 16 inches around the perimeter is unsupported. Man, on some of them after a few years, you can wobble the railing posts back and forth. Not for me.

Might get a few more joists in tomorrow. I have an afternoon meeting so I can't go balls to the wall like today, lol...

Hail Seizure! 🤣Moved wood to the job site from the storage area and worked on the deck until my muscles seized up really well. I figured they would, after yesterday crawling under the house and now 7 hours of this, so took a bunch of magnesium this morning, Didn't help. Wifie helped me out big-time at the end by gathering up my tools, as I was literally nearing incoherence. Fortunately, acetaminophen and Jameson are helping now. Still seizing some as I type, though.

View attachment 102077

This is a busy little area, near the house. The 2x4s will carry a summertime water pipe to get wifie's plant water to the other side of the deck from the house spigot. There will be an electrical outlet coming up the railing post on the far end. Drilled through the concrete rock joints yesterday for it. Need to drill through the wood for it and then mount the next joist up. The 2x6 is sistered because I had to notch the 2x8 joist to allow full ingress for the access panel.

View attachment 102078

One thing about it, this baby is 100% square! I insist that decks I build are fully supported underneath, so everything has to be square. There is no fudge room. But I have seen what happens long-term to those decks where the outer 16 inches around the perimeter is unsupported. Man, on some of them after a few years, you can wobble the railing posts back and forth. Not for me.

Might get a few more joists in tomorrow. I have an afternoon meeting so I can't go balls to the wall like today, lol...
Looking good! I know I don't need to tell you, but hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Probably some electrolytes too.

Hail Seizure! 🤣Moved wood to the job site from the storage area and worked on the deck until my muscles seized up really well. I figured they would, after yesterday crawling under the house and now 7 hours of this, so took a bunch of magnesium this morning, Didn't help. Wifie helped me out big-time at the end by gathering up my tools, as I was literally nearing incoherence. Fortunately, acetaminophen and Jameson are helping now. Still seizing some as I type, though.

View attachment 102077

View attachment 102078

Impressive! Looks really good. With all those supports, it aint goin' nowhere nohow! 👌

Impressive! Looks really good. With all those supports, it aint goin' nowhere nohow! 👌

Thanks. Posts are 2 feet down on 8-inch concrete footers and have concrete around them (Code here is 8-inch deep footers. Period). I wanted a contractor to do this, but all of them want to do a floating deck. Floats on the top. In other words, a sail in high winds. SMH...

Last edited:
Back