Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately being in the city I only have 1/2 acre. If it doesn’t have fruit or flowers it doesn’t go in my yard.
That's one great advantage of living in the country. If I tried to find 7 acres with a 3/4 acre pond near the big city it would cost stupid money and I couldn't afford it. My brother pays more in real estate taxes for his 1/4 acre lot than I do.

Two years ago I started my biggest project. I got rid of the grass near the house - about 1/3 acre - and put in a flower garden. I divide and transplant so most of the plants came from other parts of the property.

I'd like to put up a nice fence around the garden. Probably about a 1/2 acre total and do something like you have done. Some paths, bird baths, a variety of plants.

Does it just come naturally or do have sources for ideas?

I suppose it would help to have some established areas. I literally walked into the forest and picked a spot. There are birch trees, poplar, spruce and willow, grasses, indian paint brush, fire weed, thistle and all the fun invasive species, but nothing lush or overly attractive to work with.

I think this is going to be the hardest part of the property. Finding out what will survive the winters, how to mix things in. What to plant near the house for accents, and what to keep farther away.

I'm going to have to search out some pictures to steal ideas from, I guess.

The deer ravaged the shrubs in our yard this winter. I'm in the process of putting up some fencing around the small garden we have because I know if I don't I'll be wasting my time planting anything.

I got lucky for 10 years. We have been saying we need to put a fence around the garden this year since we started growing, but have avoided it because of aesthetics. Now that they think they found the finest eatery around, there's no getting around it.

I went out in august and canned about 5-6 jars with the biggest beets at the time so they didn't completely skunk us.

We left some carrots in the ground for seed and those disappeared as well. There's now a trail through the garden to the bird feeder. I just have to figure out a design that will be effective and attractive.

That's one great advantage of living in the country. My brother pays more in real estate taxes for his 1/4 acre lot than I do.

Exactly, I paid less for 160 acres than my inlaws paid for a city lot. If they leaned out the window towards their neighbor they could likely high five, so they keep the curtains drawn for privacy.

They seem to like it, but I enjoy the trees.

I'd like to put up a nice fence around the garden. Probably about a 1/2 acre total and do something like you have done. Some paths, bird baths, a variety of plants.

Does it just come naturally or do have sources for ideas?

I suppose it would help to have some established areas. I literally walked into the forest and picked a spot. There are birch trees, poplar, spruce and willow, grasses, indian paint brush, fire weed, thistle and all the fun invasive species, but nothing lush or overly attractive to work with.

I think this is going to be the hardest part of the property. Finding out what will survive the winters, how to mix things in. What to plant near the house for accents, and what to keep farther away.

I'm going to have to search out some pictures to steal ideas from, I guess.

If you're going to put effort into a garden you need to protect it. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Remember, you're not running a food pantry for the local wildlife.

I'm cheap and a pack-rat so most of my ideas come from looking at what I have and wondering what I can do with it.

Gardening is definitely a long term project and there certainly is some trial and error. Keep in mind everything can be moved. I do it ALL the time. Some plants are sensitive to moving so their relocation happens during dormancy. And many plants benefit from division - and it saves money.

Willows are super easy to propagate. Indian paint brush and fire weed are pretty and I wish I had some. And thistle - doesn't Keller have a recipe for thistle wine?

Exactly, I paid less for 160 acres than my inlaws paid for a city lot. If they leaned out the window towards their neighbor they could likely high five, so they keep the curtains drawn for privacy.

I'm with you, give me trees!

I don't have curtains or blinds on any window and I love it. And if I ever see a face at a window I won't be reaching for the phone.

I've always preferred trees over neighbors! 😄

Locally, some plots are so small that folks can have an affair with a neighbor without either leaving their house! :p

Seems like every year I have to make a pergola. Three so far. Wood is stupid pricey so I may not make one this year.

View attachment 86722
That looks nice. Maybe with wood prices so high, try collecting branches and make a "natural" one. They can look very nice in your setting. Just a thought.

That looks nice. Maybe with wood prices so high, try collecting branches and make a "natural" one. They can look very nice in your setting. Just a thought.
It's a good idea. I've seen pictures of beautiful and amazing things made with branches. Unfortunately I heat with wood which means cutting, splitting, stacking. There comes a time each year when I'm sick of wood. 😄

My Daughter say I have to make one of these for her when I go up to NY this year

Attachments

• A085BD7E-F7EC-4C84-9976-4DF63F44E2D2.jpeg
    A085BD7E-F7EC-4C84-9976-4DF63F44E2D2.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
Back