Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had to chuckle at this one. I remember when I saw my first Corvette back in the Summer of 1953 and I was 11 years old and I fell in love with it! I always wanted one but could never quite "make the numbers work." I used to see them on the road and think to myself, "Someday!"

Well, in the early 80's when my career had moved me upward I decided that I could now take the plunge and buy myself a toy. I went to a dealer in Centerville, Ohio, saw a red model and thought, "that is for me!" The salesman said, "Take it for a ride, see how you like it." I guess he was trying to soften me for the negotiation. I drove it and I was crestfallen; it rode like truck! The tar lines in the road felt like I had driven over the curb. If I was disappointed, one can just imagine how the salesman felt. I said, "No way, thank you and good-bye."

Funny, today what one mostly sees is old guys driving Corvettes. The younger guys are into the foreign made marques. Great post, Mike.

Had to chuckle at this one. I remember when I saw my first Corvette back in the Summer of 1953 and I was 11 years old and I fell in love with it! I always wanted one but could never quite "make the numbers work." I used to see them on the road and think to myself, "Someday!"

Well, in the early 80's when my career had moved me upward I decided that I could now take the plunge and buy myself a toy. I went to a dealer in Centerville, Ohio, saw a red model and thought, "that is for me!" The salesman said, "Take it for a ride, see how you like it." I guess he was trying to soften me for the negotiation. I drove it and I was crestfallen; it rode like truck! The tar lines in the road felt like I had driven over the curb. If I was disappointed, one can just imagine how the salesman felt. I said, "No way, thank you and good-bye."

Funny, today what one mostly sees is old guys driving Corvettes. The younger guys are into the foreign made marques. Great post, Mike.
You missed out - my '93 was a beast and comfortable too. My '79 is not so comfortable but it does have a few more horses under the hood.

But, those guys do look familiar.

My favorite Corvette story from ~1975. After a day of riding (horses), we went to my friend's house for dinner. Her older sister's new boyfriend was visiting with his Corvette parked in the driveway. The family matriarch remarked, "I don't trust anyone who drives a car made out of the same material as a port-a-potty."

Have never been able to look at a Corvette in any other way...

My favorite Corvette story from ~1975. After a day of riding (horses), we went to my friend's house for dinner. Her older sister's new boyfriend was visiting with his Corvette parked in the driveway. The family matriarch remarked, "I don't trust anyone who drives a car made out of the same material as a port-a-potty."

Have never been able to look at a Corvette in any other way...
You're safe, it isn't. Corvettes are made from SMC (Sheet molding compound), port-a-potties are plastic

American design sports suspension is not for everyone. My Thunderbird has it, too, even though it has Jaguar lineage from Ford's ownership of that marque. That said, the luxury Japanese and even Korean sports cars are tighter handling and more responsive. Usually, that is the trade: Sacrifice ride for better handling.

Mainly, like so many things in life, it takes white hair to have accumulated the cash to afford a Vette (or a lot of other collector cars). But younger people can take heart! They will soon possess the largest inheritance ever passed between generations.

We are now in the midst of another great car collector sea change. The '50s-early '60s vehicle collectors all aged out, and now the '60s and '70s muscle car collectors are aging out. It just blows my mind to apply the 25-year rule for a classic car and arrive at a 1998 model meeting the qualification! :oops:

American design sports suspension is not for everyone. My Thunderbird has it, too, even though it has Jaguar lineage from Ford's ownership of that marque. That said, the luxury Japanese and even Korean sports cars are tighter handling and more responsive. Usually, that is the trade: Sacrifice ride for better handling.

Mainly, like so many things in life, it takes white hair to have accumulated the cash to afford a Vette (or a lot of other collector cars). But younger people can take heart! They will soon possess the largest inheritance ever passed between generations.

We are now in the midst of another great car collector sea change. The '50s-early '60s vehicle collectors all aged out, and now the '60s and '70s muscle car collectors are aging out. It just blows my mind to apply the 25-year rule for a classic car and arrive at a 1998 model meeting the qualification! :oops:
I like your term "sea change," very descriptive and apropos. I was into Pre-war Packard's and I sensed the coming change in their popularity. Happily, I got out in time. The only one of 6 that I owned that I lost money on in selling was my first one, a 1938 sedan. This was mostly because I over paid for it. Today, I see Packard's regularly that were selling for $200K-300K range in the 1970's, selling today for under $100K, and they continue to decrease in market value. I would hate to be there when the music stops. "You got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em," or you could lose your aspiration.

I like your term "sea change," very descriptive and apropos. I was into Pre-war Packard's and I sensed the coming change in their popularity. Happily, I got out in time. The only one of 6 that I owned that I lost money on in selling was my first one, a 1938 sedan. This was mostly because I over paid for it. Today, I see Packard's regularly that were selling for $200K-300K range in the 1970's, selling today for under $100K, and they continue to decrease in market value. I would hate to be there when the music stops. "You got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em," or you could lose your aspiration.

I know a very rich man in my small town who has three warehouses full of 1963-1977 classics, mostly Mopar but with Chevys thrown in there. It's a lot of cars. He is selling them off now for this very reason. The only ones he is keeping or investing in are the true, verified and correct (or, ideally, perfect survivor) "1 of 1" cars. One morning, I saw a trailer loaded with three gorgeous '63 split-window Vettes leave one of his places. Sold off to a guy in Texas, he said. I never had the cash to blow to run with those big dogs.

Latest posts

Back