Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wait until he gets to the steps.

Jim, I just built a deck by myself and I am eyeing replacing my kitchen cabinets and remodeling the kitchen by myself this winter. Don't harsh my buzz, man! 🤣

Nah, in all honesty, all my friends are lazy tech and/or academic types or just people who figured out a long time ago that not knowing how to do something lets you then hire it done guilt-free. Me? Something needs done, if I don't know how already, I am IMMERSED in You Tube! 😄 Yeah, yeah, the project may take 5 months to get finished, but look what I'm saving! 🤣

Jim, I just built a deck by myself and I am eyeing replacing my kitchen cabinets and remodeling the kitchen by myself this winter. Don't harsh my buzz, man! 🤣

Nah, in all honesty, all my friends are lazy tech and/or academic types or just people who figured out a long time ago that not knowing how to do something lets you then hire it done guilt-free. Me? Something needs done, if I don't know how already, I am IMMERSED in You Tube! 😄 Yeah, yeah, the project may take 5 months to get finished, but look what I'm saving! 🤣

I hear ya! As a society (myself included), we've spent so much time 'getting ahead' that when it comes time to get anything done around the house, we have to pay someone to do it - and there goes all that 'getting ahead' into someone else's wallet.

There's a quote attributed to Henry Ford, that goes something like this:

If you think you can do a thing, or if you think you can't, you're right.​

Although to be fair, not everyone is handy like this. It's a skill set that not everyone has.

A thought I always have when in the middle of one of those projects is “So glad I don’t have to do this for a living. I would starve”

I hear ya! As a society (myself included), we've spent so much time 'getting ahead' that when it comes time to get anything done around the house, we have to pay someone to do it - and there goes all that 'getting ahead' into someone else's wallet.

I still got ahead, but I'd have gotten farther ahead building shit for other people. 😄

I got a brother in law, quit high school and apprenticed in HVAC, then got his own van and some tools. Now he lives in a million-dollar house on the water. His HVAC business is located in a former UPS distribution center and he serves a 200-mile radius. If he doesn't win the bid, then he's the guy whose people make the ductwork for the one who did. Either way, he's making coin.

Ain't hindsight a bitch? 🤣

A thought I always have when in the middle of one of those projects is “So glad I don’t have to do this for a living. I would starve”

The main reason I do as much of my own stuff as possible is that, unlike the average contractor, I have a certain standard of workmanship and it is much higher than "good enough until I get my check."

For example, by doing my own deck, I saved $18K, but most importantly, I have piers that go 2 feet down, not piers ending in precast concrete floating on top of the ground. The deck is also anchored with hurricane ties, not simply toe-screwed to the support joists. The time mounts up when it is just one person doing it all. Two people cuts the time immensely. I have 220 hours in the deck, should have about 230 when the lattice is done. That would be about 100 hours if there had been two people. But all my friends are lazy, seriously, lol...

I have a friend who just had new cabinets, sink and appliances installed in his smallish kitchen. He has $28K in it – and he kept his old countertops! I think I can DIY it in my larger kitchen for about $15K, and that includes flooring and walls.

Latest posts

Back