Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a recent archeological dig in the furthest reaches of our abode, our archeological team discovered an ancient computing device. It is believed that complex mathematical computations where once completed with devices such as these.

View attachment 92046
I remember using one of those.

On a recent archeological dig in the furthest reaches of our abode, our archeological team discovered an ancient computing device. It is believed that complex mathematical computations where once completed with devices such as these.

View attachment 92046
I never did learn how to use one of those!

View attachment 92046

I still own the one I bought freshman year of engineering school, in its carrying case. As I recall the bookstore had them at 75% off and it cost about $20. This would have been 1976. By the end of that school year, everyone owned some type of calculator. I pull it off of my drawer every so often, just to remind myself how to multiply and divide using it. And that just because the calculator shows you 15 significant digits, nothing beyond the third is correct, very often.

I still own the one I bought freshman year of engineering school, in its carrying case. As I recall the bookstore had them at 75% off and it cost about $20. This would have been 1976. By the end of that school year, everyone owned some type of calculator. I pull it off of my drawer every so often, just to remind myself how to multiply and divide using it. And that just because the calculator shows you 15 significant digits, nothing beyond the third is correct, very often.

The ark lands after The Flood. Noah lets all the animals out. Says, "Go forth and multiply." Several months pass. Noah decides to check up on the animals. All are doing fine except a pair of snakes. "What's the problem?" says Noah. "Cut down some trees and let us live there," say the snakes. Noah follows their advice. Several more weeks pass. Noah checks on the snakes again. Lots of little snakes, everybody is happy. Noah asks, "Want to tell me how the trees helped?" "Certainly," say the snakes. "We're adders, and we need logs to multiply."

View attachment 92046
My daughter found my old K&E decilon in my desk when she was about 12 years old and she said, "What is this, Daddy?" I was excited to show her how it worked and told her how important it was when I was at Tech. I even did a few calculations for her to demonstrate. I thought she would be impressed but her only comment was, "Why didn't you just use a calculator?"

Last edited:
Back