Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running an errand last week and a woman walked past me, about 10' away. A moment after she passed the "fragrance" reached me. I fought the urge to explain to her that perfume is NOT a marinade!

View attachment 88996
I live this. I have a highly tuned olfactory sense and every thing 'smells', at least to me. I have had people walk by that made my eyes water. And I can't sit close to someone like this as I will start coughing. I wish it were different, but my body has made up it's mind, and that's that.

I live this. I have a highly tuned olfactory sense and every thing 'smells', at least to me. I have had people walk by that made my eyes water. And I can't sit close to someone like this as I will start coughing. I wish it were different, but my body has made up it's mind, and that's that.

Not as bad as you, but in the same zip code...

I’m with you on that. My old gas chromatograph detects every smell. But old women wearing stale perfume has to be the worse.

Well now .... that stinks! 😁

I’m with you on that. My old gas chromatograph detects every smell. But old women wearing stale perfume has to be the worse.
BITD, an acquaintance of mine used up an entire bottle of Obsession for Men in 1 month. He was overwhelming, in every sense of the word. 😣

[
Another example:
Statins are widely accepted as being good for reducing Cholesterol. No argument from me there. It is also believed that they reduce the chances of CVD, etc.
There are more than enough articles advising the above, and I think that studying the product since 1987 should be time enough to get a good answer.
Then I come across an article:
Are lipid-lowering guidelines evidence-based? Abramson, J;Wright, J M The Lancet; Jan 20-Jan 26, 2007; 369, 9557; ProQuest Central pg. 168
Now "The Lancet" is arguably the worlds premier peer reviewed medical magazine. (I have a copy but can't share due to copywrite)
Bottom line the article says that non of the testing provides evidence of benefit. Was approved by random peers before being published. Someone with a MD has to be incorrect.

What happened

Really? What happened? Science is not totalitarian. And that's why we look for consensus, rather than trusting the outliers. The fact that the article was published does not mean the peers agreed but that the research was conducted to a standard. It will be subjected to the same rigors as the research it questions. Which is why we don't cherry-pick research papers – unless one has an agenda. That's what happened.

Science is not totalitarian. And that's why we look for consensus

I gave your comment a thumbs up. Science it not totalitarian.

But, here to clarify: Science does not necessarily look for for a consensus. Because consensus may be wrong. Repeatable experimental evidence is most reliable harbinger of science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus
That is consensus is not an end point. Or that it is necessarily correct. The consensus may be wrong, and should not de facto prevent more stimulate experimental inquiry into the issue in question. Which may result in more, and maybe unexpected, universal results.

After all, the consensus was once that bodies off different weights fell at different rates. We today know better. Who knows what "consensus" we assume today will be proved wrong tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back