Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you a physicist? At least you say "may." 🤣 But Keyboard Warrior? He had the whole thing all worked out! 😂 Since the 1960s, there have been THEORETICAL solutions that THEORETICALLY work, but for now the energy required for just one ship is equal to the mass of Jupiter. Mathematically, no one can prove that it DOESN'T work, which keeps some people intrigued. Since the 1990s, there has been a small global cadre of scientists working on the problem but it is so far from the realm of actual practice that they do it as a sideline hobby, since no one will fund them. So please spare me, at least until quantum physics maybe manages to catch up.

Just remember that fantasy watch Dick Tracy had when we were kids. 😁

So this is not something that Einstein said, but later speculation.
My theory is based on logical assumptions made after reflecting on the circumstantial evidence.
Assumption 1 - We have not been overrun by an alien life form. There is some evidence that may refute this assumption. ie Tucker Carlson.
Assumption 2 - They have not stolen our planets resources. If someone was after our planet’s resources they would not have left them in our hands this long.
Assumption 3 - If it hasn’t happen yet it probably won’t/can’t
Again, to be clear, I am not a scientist.

Bottom line, having a degree or PHD means you can think. It doesn't mean you do.
There's an old saying, 'Education is not a sign of intelligence.'
[/QUOTE]

I'll go ahead and set the record straight on this one. Having a PhD means you have become, in the eyes of those who are proficient in it, an expert in a subject area. That's it. Too many people think it means you should be an expert in everything. And that's pretty much how all the misunderstandings start.

ll p
Just remember that fantasy watch Dick Tracy had when we were kids. 😁

Oh, nowhere did I say it can't be done. It is theoretically possible and cannot be mathematically disproven and unworkable. The LIGO findings buttress that, as well (sour_grapes' Einstein, who underlies all physics in some way).

But creating the ripple that builds the bubble on the surface of which even a very small craft would ride in warp takes enormous energy - currently calculated at the equivalent of the mass of Jupiter. It is not currently possible, at any scale no matter how small, to replicate the theory in the lab, the first step to any study and scale-up. That's why quantum physics will have to catch up first. Then, we have to figure out how to build a craft in which the humans inside are not torn apart by the forces involved. It's a looooong way off.

Nuclear thermal propulsion is our next step to longer-distance space travel quickly, and feasible. NASA has solid engines now and liquid ones are being developed by NASA in collaboration with universities.

BTW, if quantum physics DOES catch up to allow warp drive, we'll easily be able to do transporters, too.

Anyhow...

My theory is based on logical assumptions made after reflecting on the circumstantial evidence.
Assumption 1 - We have not been overrun by an alien life form. There is some evidence that may refute this assumption. ie Tucker Carlson.
Assumption 2 - They have not stolen our planets resources. If someone was after our planet’s resources they would not have left them in our hands this long.
Assumption 3 - If it hasn’t happen yet it probably won’t/can’t
Again, to be clear, I am not a scientist.

Or you can accept either of these premises, which have nothing to do with violence or acquisition:

1.) Alien scientists are watching us, and we are so far behind their tech that they don't need our intellectual property or our resources. We are a very primitive life form and so they leave alone but they watch us, kind of like watching fireflies in the backyard.

2.) Alien scientists actually created life on Earth as an experiment and are watching its evolution.

3.) There are all kinds of planets in the universe with carbon-based life but no one has figured out how to travel the distances required yet.

Any one would preclude theft or disturbing us in any way. As far as probably won't/can't, we also haven't been hit by a gravitational wave that knocked us completely out of our orbit around the sun, but that is possible.

I believe in #1 (and BELIEVE is the correct word here) because it also explains things like the strange UFO craft our advanced military systems pick up all the time now. #3 is also plausible to me, as there is no doubt mathematically that carbon life exists elsewhere in the universe. I doubt #2, as *religious beliefs aside) the science is getting ever closer to a model that shows the ions from the sun's plasma interacted with the primordial soup to create life. But the jury is still deliberating on it all.

For some years, a long time ago, I was an engineer at a car company. There was a change from carburetors to fuel injection and someone had an idea to calculate mpg for fuel being used. Common now. Bogged down by deadlines, the engineer responsible made a mistake in the calculations and so when the vehicle was released the calculation was wrong. Some months after release he received a letter from an individual who had done the calculation for him. The calculation was right.
Further, since retirement I have taken an interest in history. Found an article by a Professor, who constrained by a deadline made a call on the significance of a document. I have done research at a more relaxed pace and found several contradicting articles.
Bottom line, having a degree or PHD means you can think. It doesn't mean you do.

The process you describe is how science self-corrects, provided that those who think they have the correct answer can withstand the rigors. I answered the PhD comment in another post. The basic assumption is fatally flawed. The conclusion also doesn't follow, as anyone at any IQ may be unable to "do." I see this type everyday. Shrug.

There's been a lot of that. I'm tickled that my comment about warp being possible has precipitated this series of posts.
We haven't even reached being classified as a Type 1 Civilization on the Kardashev Scale. And the resources on this rock are limited. If we were a space faring species, we'd cannibalize all the space debris for what was needed and not waste our time hauling it up out of this gravity well.

Scientists are not, of course, infallible. But it may be worth recalling that mistakes induced by limited time for reflection are not what the meme that kicked off this discussion was referring to. ("Spend years studying problem, form hypothesis, gather evidence, etc.")
Another example:
Statins are widely accepted as being good for reducing Cholesterol. No argument from me there. It is also believed that they reduce the chances of CVD, etc.
There are more than enough articles advising the above, and I think that studying the product since 1987 should be time enough to get a good answer.
Then I come across an article:
Are lipid-lowering guidelines evidence-based? Abramson, J;Wright, J M The Lancet; Jan 20-Jan 26, 2007; 369, 9557; ProQuest Central pg. 168
Now "The Lancet" is arguably the worlds premier peer reviewed medical magazine. (I have a copy but can't share due to copywrite)
Bottom line the article says that non of the testing provides evidence of benefit. Was approved by random peers before being published. Someone with a MD has to be incorrect.

What happened

Back