Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you hear about the brilliant amateur inventor in England during WWII? The Brits were pleading for ideas on how to stop the nightly bombing raids and offered rewards to anyone who came up with a successful idea. They got a call from a private citizen (not physics prof or industry giant, etc) .
"So, here's the solution. You have those searchlights scanning the sky, When a plane comes into the beam, turn it solid and it will wreck the plane."
"So how do we turn a light beam solid?"
"Oh, that's and engineering problem. I am an inventor."

Are you a physicist? At least you say "may." 🤣 But Keyboard Warrior? He had the whole thing all worked out! 😂 Since the 1960s, there have been THEORETICAL solutions that THEORETICALLY work, but for now the energy required for just one ship is equal to the mass of Jupiter. Mathematically, no one can prove that it DOESN'T work, which keeps some people intrigued. Since the 1990s, there has been a small global cadre of scientists working on the problem but it is so far from the realm of actual practice that they do it as a sideline hobby, since no one will fund them. So please spare me, at least until quantum physics maybe manages to catch up.
Reminds me of the story of a caveman watching a tar pit burn and says, I'm going to build an Corvette. Maybe in 10,000 years but not today.

Are you a physicist? At least you say "may." 🤣 But Keyboard Warrior? He had the whole thing all worked out! 😂 Since the 1960s, there have been THEORETICAL solutions that THEORETICALLY work, but for now the energy required for just one ship is equal to the mass of Jupiter. Mathematically, no one can prove that it DOESN'T work, which keeps some people intrigued. Since the 1990s, there has been a small global cadre of scientists working on the problem but it is so far from the realm of actual practice that they do it as a sideline hobby, since no one will fund them. So please spare me, at least until quantum physics maybe manages to catch up.
I have this theory that the reason we haven’t been overrun by an advanced alien civilization who enslaves us and takes all the resources on this planet is that the theories don’t work and that interstellar (much less intergalactic) travel is impossible. But I can’t prove it.

I have this theory that the reason we haven’t been overrun by an advanced alien civilization who enslaves us and takes all the resources on this planet is that the theories don’t work and that interstellar (much less intergalactic) travel is impossible. But I can’t prove it.
Or it could be they got a brief look at us, locked their doors, and left as quickly as they could!

For some years, a long time ago, I was an engineer at a car company. There was a change from carburetors to fuel injection and someone had an idea to calculate mpg for fuel being used. Common now. Bogged down by deadlines, the engineer responsible made a mistake in the calculations and so when the vehicle was released the calculation was wrong. Some months after release he received a letter from an individual who had done the calculation for him. The calculation was right.
Further, since retirement I have taken an interest in history. Found an article by a Professor, who constrained by a deadline made a call on the significance of a document. I have done research at a more relaxed pace and found several contradicting articles.
Bottom line, having a degree or PHD means you can think. It doesn't mean you do.

Theoretically, Einstein said equations approach the speed of light from both sides. From what I remember, that means you can go faster than the speed of light, but you have to jump over it without ever going at the speed of light. That's the problem how to make that jump.

For some years, a long time ago, I was an engineer at a car company. There was a change from carburetors to fuel injection and someone had an idea to calculate mpg for fuel being used. Common now. Bogged down by deadlines, the engineer responsible made a mistake in the calculations and so when the vehicle was released the calculation was wrong. Some months after release he received a letter from an individual who had done the calculation for him. The calculation was right.
Further, since retirement I have taken an interest in history. Found an article by a Professor, who constrained by a deadline made a call on the significance of a document. I have done research at a more relaxed pace and found several contradicting articles.
Bottom line, having a degree or PHD means you can think. It doesn't mean you do. [Emphases added.]

Scientists are not, of course, infallible. But it may be worth recalling that mistakes induced by limited time for reflection are not what the meme that kicked off this discussion was referring to. ("Spend years studying problem, form hypothesis, gather evidence, etc.")

Theoretically, Einstein said equations approach the speed of light from both sides. From what I remember, that means you can go faster than the speed of light, but you have to jump over it without ever going at the speed of light. That's the problem how to make that jump.

I have more than a passing familiarity with relativity, and have never heard that said about Einstein. Do you have any citations you can point me to where Einstein indicated that?

Last edited:
Back