Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down here in the deep South, "want" is pronounced "wont." I used to have to go through tons of kids' letters to Santa at one point in my life, preparing them for printing in the local paper. "What I wont for Christmas" was VERY common. :D

Oh yes, I'm trying to figure out the wording a young child said to my ex-wife back in about 1981 when we moved to Oklahoma.

it was something like: I wont that red caller (at least phonetically)

After talking with one of the other folks around her, I want the red crayon was the intended sentence.

I ain't never not had me any of them boiled peanuts is another example from down around Montgomery, AL.

Thankfully, I had a true Southern with me to interpret. (I didn't get a chance to purchase any of the boiled peanuts last time they were selling them here)

Oh yes, I'm trying to figure out the wording a young child said to my ex-wife back in about 1981 when we moved to Oklahoma.

it was something like: I wont that red caller (at least phonetically)

After talking with one of the other folks around her, I want the red crayon was the intended sentence.

I ain't never not had me any of them boiled peanuts is another example from down around Montgomery, AL.

Thankfully, I had a true Southern with me to interpret. (I didn't get a chance to purchase any of the boiled peanuts last time they were selling them here)

"I ain nevah had me none-a them bolled pay-noots." :D

Correct spelling of y'all everywhere: y'all. Correct spelling of y'all down South: ya'll.

Last edited:
Discussion with my barber years ago...

"What's that oil for up on the shelf?"

"Itchascalp, boy."

"What? It's your scalp?"

"NO BOY Itcha scalp, itcha scalp!" With a scratching motion on his head.

"Oh, itchy scalp!" :D

On the other hand, how to say "You're not going bowling with Bob" in northern Illinois:

"Yer gnat goin' bawling wit Bab!" :D

Discussion with my barber years ago...

"What's that oil for up on the shelf?"

"Itchascalp, boy."

"What? It's your scalp?"

"NO BOY Itcha scalp, itcha scalp!" With a scratching motion on his head.

"Oh, itchy scalp!" :D

On the other hand, how to say "You're not going bowling with Bob" in northern Illinois:

"Yer gnat goin' bawling wit Bab!" :D
I had the same sort of problem when I moved from Yorkshire down to Banbury (Oxfordshire). As far as most of the locals were concerned, I could of come from another country. I worked with a chap for more than two years who called me that 'Furinner' who lodged with the 'Fridays'.
I've always thought it strange that in schools when they teach English pupils a Foreign language, they try to teach pronunciation, but in English lessons they only teach the written version.
What is even weirder, they don't even teach pupils Proper English like what we speak in Yorkshire! :slp

Back