Possible Idea for Aquiring cheap bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idea:

Grapeman has cases of bottles, Gina needs bottles and doesn't want to pay retail for new. Gina can pay Grapeman the cost of shipping the cases to her. USPS would be about $6-8 per case. Seems like a win for both parties.

I don't know if there are any vineyards close but, you may ask them if they have any bottles . If they have tastings, I don't think they can reuse them . check the Kentucky Vineyard Society website for a local winery.

Grapeman,

If you weren't in communist country (ney york state) id come get them. But I'm not allowed in any state that refuses to recognize myright to carry a loaded firearm on my person when I want to.

It's a shame to trash that many cases of bottles. I hope you find someone close to take them off your hands.

All I can say to that statement is WOW. Why you brought that up is beyond my comprehension. I won't respond because we don't allow political discussion here, but I will say that anyone with a valid pistol carry permit is allowed to carry, generally concealed is required.:n

I get my bottles from the Bottle Depot recycling bottle place

They save wine bottles and resell them as well as collect bottles of all kinds for recycling.

wine bottles for sale 30 cents - all kinds screw tops , flat tops whatever is there - I scored 8 one gallon wine bottles and abut 16 3/4 wine bottles all good as carboys - (fitted with balloons on top)
All the same price 30 cents each :ib

Don't y'all have bottle depots down there in America?

They save wine bottles and resell them as well as collect bottles of all kinds for recycling.

wine bottles for sale 30 cents - all kinds screw tops , flat tops whatever is there - I scored 8 one gallon wine bottles and abut 16 3/4 wine bottles all good as carboys - (fitted with balloons on top)

Looks like that's a negative. Boo!

What I have done is this. A local winery has their tasting room.
Due to state taxes, they have to account for all the bottles emptied during tastings. Once that is done, due to (again) state regulations, they simply recycle the bottles, rather then re-using them.
I convinced them to "recycle" them by giving them to me.
The tasting room is open 9 months out of the year, and I get 2-3 cases of bottles every month they are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I made a deal with a local wine restaurant and pick up a couple empty cases a week.

I have a winery about 4 miles from my house.
I emailed them and asked what they did with their empties since they can't reuse them, and if I could have them.

They throw all their empties in barrels out back, take them to the recycling center every Monday.
I can take whatever I want as long as I don't make a mess.

I have a winery about 4 miles from my house.
I emailed them and asked what they did with their empties since they can't reuse them, and if I could have them.

They throw all their empties in barrels out back, take them to the recycling center every Monday.
I can take whatever I want as long as I don't make a mess.

:db glad you found a local resource!

Now that is a great idea. Thanks man!!! Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

In case anyone reads this I asked my local pizza place (also has small dining room and bar) to save them as they were not recycling and over the weekend I got 24 bottles! Wish they were all clear for my Dragonblood but beggars can't be choosers AND I kept them out of a landfill! Win-win!

While we are on the subject of bottles...Does anyone ship wine? I have family in other states that would like me to ship them a few bottles. I don't want all the bottles broken in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

While we are on the subject of bottles...Does anyone ship wine? I have family in other states that would like me to ship them a few bottles. I don't want all the bottles broken in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I ship beer and have shipped wine. Use bubble wrap, crumpled newspaper, and corrugated cardboard to cushion it and you should be fine. I've never had anything broken. You can ship UPS, I don't think USPS will take it.

I believe it is technically illegal to ship wine without a license. So, for purposes of discussion, bottles of grape juice would be more appropriate.

I am lucky I live in a state that has deposits on bottles, a friend who owns a redemption center, and a wife who is a lush so I never run out of bottles

Seriously though I would try a local bar or restaurant. It costs them money to throw things away so why not just have them save them for you?
If they put a bin next to the trash it is no work for them. Asking some one to bring back clean empty bottles is work.

I think you will have more success with the former not the latter.

I believe it is technically illegal to ship wine without a license. So, for purposes of discussion, bottles of grape juice would be more appropriate.

I was addressing only the breakage issue; my shipments to competitions were entirely legal.

Beyond that, individuals must be responsible the knowing applicable laws as they vary greatly by geography.

I must live in a wino area, we have two restaurants/Bars in our town both set their empties inside the back door for all the local wine makers to pick up as needed,
I also get empties from a local winery, they have dozens a day from their wine tasting tours, and from their restaurant. they gladly give them way. But it is wise to call first, as I said I live in a wino area.

Latest posts

Back