Possible Idea for Aquiring cheap bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm feeling kind of lucky today. I went to a newly opened "winery" near me in a coastal tourist town. Mostly I just wanted to check it out. I noticed the owner throwing a few cases of bottles in the trash dumpster. I asked if they were bottles and he said yes so I asked if I could take them. No problem! He took me into the back room and loaded 7 cases of Bordeaux bottles with at least one p dessert wine empty in each box. Absolutely free and he was happy to give more. We have no recycling within 200 miles so he was happy to give them and I love re-purposing. I admit removing the labels is a pain, but at least they have been rinsed so no Crusty stuff to deal with.

Sent from my iPad because I spilled wine on my MacBook. Waaaah! :(

ImageUploadedByWine Making1414028642.077485.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling kind of lucky today. I went to a newly opened "winery" near me in a coastal tourist town. Mostly I just wanted to check it out. I noticed the owner throwing a few cases of bottles in the trash dumpster. I asked if they were bottles and he said yes so I asked if I could take them. No problem! He took me into the back room and loaded 7 cases of Bordeaux bottles with at least one p dessert wine empty in each box. Absolutely free and he was happy to give more. We have no recycling within 200 miles so he was happy to give them and I love re-purposing. I admit removing the labels is a pain, but at least they have been rinsed so no Crusty stuff to deal with.

Sent from my iPad because I spilled wine on my MacBook. Waaaah! :(

Congrats! That's a phenomenal haul!!

I have more bottles than I can use coming in from friends. Took a quick count before typing this and I have 45 cases of empties and a friend bring over 5 more cases today. it has taken a bit of training to get him to rinse, but I have prevailed. I have 400 filled in the cellar/closet.

Prior to that source, the Country Club we belong to would save them for me, and a local restaurant also saved bottles. One other method was when ever my wife and I went to a wedding or event, I asked the wait staff to start a separate garbage bag with wine bottles for me to take. They were happy to do that as it gave them less to haul to the dumpster. It did embarrass my wife though, but she's gotten used to me.

We have a small winery near us that I get Marquette cake and skins from. I have never asked for bottles.

Last edited:
Back