Cellar Craft Port stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez2cy

Reaction score
Making a Port from Cellar Craft.

Stuck in fermentation.

Suppose to wait until it hit a SG of 1.2 before adding sugar in primary (some days later) waited 2 weeks and did not hit it, so, I added the sugar anyway. No fermentation. I then added yeast again to kick start it (done this once before with a wine and it worked) Nothing.

Any ideas what I can do? Or I just get ahold of Cellar Craft?

Ty in advance.

What was your starting gravity before you added the yeast? What gravity did it get down to before it become stuck? At this point, the only thing to try would probably be creating a viable yeast starter and adding it to the wine. I assume when you added more yeast you simply sprinkled it on top as before.

Getting a hold of CC wouldn't hurt, though. Wouldn't be surprised if they just replaced the kit.

I am a bit confused by the numbers in your post. Are these the instructions for your kit: http://www.vinecowine.com/UserFiles/File/old_docs/Cellar%20Craft_6wkSpecialtyInstructions.pdf

I am trying to figure out what "Suppose to wait until it hit a SG of 1.2 before adding sugar in primary" may actually mean. Surely, the SG would not be as high as 1.200, right? Is the port kit supposed to go DOWN to 1.020, perhaps, and then additional sugar is added?

What kind of yeast did you use initially and the second time?

Sorry, not reading or typing in SG wrong, never worry about it as I'm always looking for 1 or below.

SG is now @ 1.025

Started at 1.030

Directions state; After 5-7 days use the following procedure to your kit before going to 2nd ferm. if it is below 1.020 make your sugar addition. ( this is where I waited and the SG did not come down so I went ahead and added sugar as it said)

Then suppose to wait another 5-7 days and SG should be < 1.018

Different wine store but they gave sis in law a package of yeast and told her to mix it in 1/4 warm water, and stir in the wine batch. Nothing happened.

No idea of the yeast, came with kit.

SG is now @ 1.025

Started at 1.030
Wanna try again? I don't believe that the kit started at 1.030.

The online instructions for Cellar Craft port do not mention adding sugar.

Please tell us the EXACT name of the kit.

Steve

Are you talking about the "F-Pack" that gets added to back sweeten the wine? That doesn't get fermented. That is what makes the Port "off dry". Depending on the tru starting SG you could be in the 15-16% ABV range and not too many yeast could tolerate that high of an ABV.

Ok....screwing up big time....trying to do too many things at a time.

My last 5 kits were Cellar so I assumed.....wrong.

Winexpert

yes, typo ....1.130 Starting.

Yes, there is a bag of sugar a person puts in when also add Chaptalisation. (?)

This is where it should have been 1.020 according to the directions. Never got there so I went ahead with adding the sugar anyway.

Again, nothing happened. sitting at 1.025. After adding the sugar and Chaptalistion, wine should be at <1.018 before going to secondary. Finished, according to instructions will be 1.015 -1.025 ( I'm assuming SG will rise with adding the F-Pack later.

Sorry, I"ve made wine for years, never a port and I've got a millions things on the go. I'm not stopping to think of what I'm writing and assuming too many things.

Latest posts

Back