Port Mouth Feel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
I've been working on my port - mainly watching it at this point. Here's where things started, ended, and next steps (I think).

Starting Gravity - 1.098
Ending Gravity - 1.00 (after incremental feeds of additional sugar)
Gravity after Fortifying - .094
Gravity after Sweetening - 1.018
Vinometer - 19%

Its a blueberry port, with some fig and banana for body.

I'm going to add additional sweetening to bring it up to about 1.021 - a measurement that's consistent with some of the ports I've got on the shelf. I'll then go by taste to get it where it seems right.

I've noticed during samplings that it leaves me with a distinct sting on the tongue (not sure how else to describe the sensation) - but otherwise its pretty good without much aging. I'm guessing it is because its not yet degassed - although you can see its degassing on its own. Any thoughts no what might cause this sensation? It lasts for some time.

If its not done degassing, and its stinging your tonuge in a sense - is it like drinking a soda pop? If its that same tingle, its the CO2

Last edited:
If its not doing degassing, and its stinging your tonuge in a sense - is it like drinking a soda pop? If its that same tingle, its the CO2

Its definitely degassing on its own, but it probably has a ways to go. The stinging lasts a lot longer than a soda pop though, so it seemed a little suspect. Would anything else cause this sensation? I know the original acid/pH was in the right range, but on the higher end of okay, and it smells good.

I'm not an expert at all but I have learned that my Higher Alc Wines and the one port I made had a burn or a sting to it's taste that mellows with age... may just be the higher alc not mellowed since it's young?

Vinometer is registering 19% ABV, so its probably not the alcohol - sounds like it needs to degas, and age a while. Its a month into the process today, so it has a long way to go. If this is the only problem I'm experiencing, I think I'm good.

A month old? Yeah you're probably fine, and it'll probably produce a couple more questionable attributes as it ages but it should come back in-line just fine

That's what I figured, but I was interested in that slight sting on the tongue. I'm about to pitch yeast into my banana port so it'll be good to know what to expect at the same point in the process.

I would guess it is probably the alcohol. I drink port a lot and most of the young ruby, reserves and tawny burn just a little. I believe it comes from being young and the higher alcohol.

Britt

CAN BE CONSIDERED A WINE FAULT,VOLATILE ACIDITY,WHEN IT IS IN SUCH AN EXCESS THAT IT CAN OVERWHELM THE OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE WINE.:ft

Good news - racked tonight, and added a bit of sweetness to get to the target sugar levels using blackcherry juice. Wow - this port-like wine is tasting fabulous already. The strange feeling on the tongue is gone now that its been sitting for a while.

Latest posts

Back