Port for Dummies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking mighty fine there Goodfella
smiley20.gif

Thanks Waldo.... Should be about done fermenting.

How's the Pumpkin comin along Skinnydipper?

Well the Blueberry Port finished dry.... SG is .996-.998ish. I will give it a day or so, just to make sure.

How is the Pumpkin Skinnydipper?

Well - I know what I did wrong the last time, I don't have sorbate so I couldn't have used it. I was going to stop by myLHBS today but didn't have time. Will make it tomorrow. I hope the extra two days is not a problem.

Yeah.... the sorbate is what will keep it from refermenting when you sweeten it or add the f-pack. It will also help preserve it. Should be OK until tomorrow, You just don't want to leave it on those Lee's very long. It can add on off flavor.

What is the SG?

SG still at 1.010. Racked off lees, degassed, added campden and sorbate. Had just under three gallons. First racked to my 3 gallon carboy but then racked to two one gallon jugs and one odd-ball size jug. Still a little more head space than I would like t osee on the odd-ball size jug. Any topping-off suggestions? I would like to put it back in the three gallon, just not sure how to top off.

I was going to take some pics and post all I have thus far, but my camera has gone UA.

skinny you can use sanitized marbles in the carboy to eliminate headspace. Just how much do you actually have? I would think taht if it took no more thana 750ml bottle to fill the headspace then a bottle of commercial reisling wine would work too. If you are going to backsweeten and fortify then that will also take care of some of the headspace.

Racked the Blueberry today. Looks like it finished at .996-.998.

Should be about 17% ABV right now. It already smells and tastes pretty good. I will end up fortifying with Brandy to about 20%.

Transferred the 3/4 of a 1/2 gallon to a 1.5 liter bottle. There was a little left over for the compost pile, but it worked out well.

Time to start planning my f-pack.

Your blueberry port sounds good. Maybe I'll start once I get this pumpkin a little further along.

The sour taste may be normal, both my pumpkin wine & mead had a sour taste that was starting to fade just prior to bottling.
VC

Goodfella said:
My Blackberry Port is sour.... But it seems like it changes every sampling.

And the more you sample, the more it changes too
smiley4.gif

skinnydipper said:
Transferred the 3/4 of a 1/2 gallon to a 1.5 liter bottle. There was a little left over for the compost pile, but it worked out well.

Time to start planning my f-pack.

Your blueberry port sounds good. Maybe I'll start once I get this pumpkin a little further along.

Do you just dump the pumpkin pie filling (f-pac) into the carboy? I am wondering how you get a strainging bag into a carboy (if the f-pac were in a bag, and the wine was already in glass)?

Am I missing something here?

Please pardon the newbie questions......

We may need Waldo to weigh in on this one.....

I'm not sure, I don't know the consistency or anything else about pumpkin pie filling.

I thought there was a thread about making f-packs - I'll be darned if I can find it.

I was thinking to get a couple cans of pumpkin pie filling, add some vodka, simmer on stove until reduced by about a third. Strain, add to wine. I am hoping it will make enough to rack back to my three gallon carboy, but I also don't want to over do it either. I'm thinking I will also need to back sweeten at the same time? Do I add sorbate and campden again?

If you have already added them you are good to go. You may need to add a lot of the pie mix to get it and keep it at the 3 gallon mark and you'll be adding a lot of potential sediment back in with that f-pack. Pumpkin has very little flavor you may want to just sweeten it and add spices and vodka. Also add the spices to the vodka and let them sit until you get the flavor you like and then add the flavored vodka to the carboy and top it off that way.
VC

vcasey has some good idea's there.

DO NOT add vodka before simmering on the stove. Don't add any more k-meta or sorbate, you have enough in your wine.

I would not sweeten yet....

Latest posts

Back