Port for Dummies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have some sugar on hand... I would start thinking about watching when it hits 1.010... then adding sugar to bring it back up to 1.030. That way when that finishes dry you will have about 17% +/-. Then it will take less to fortify. That way you have less taste influence from the fortifying spirit, and more from the wine, yet still have the higher ABV.

I think you will be fine to leave this in the primary until you are back. Goodfella's advice about feeding it is sound and you can do this several times until the SG no longer drops. Sometimes the yeast respond very well and will go past their expected alcohol limit, sometimes!
VC

Well, all this Port talk got to me.... I Started a Blueberry Port today!!!

I'm excited to see what the SG is on your Pumpkin today Skinnydipper.

Tonight it will be around 1.010. At that point add sugar (or simple syrup)to bring it to 1.030.

Also.... You can squeeze pulp and remove bag. (you can do that now).

Since you are leaving town... I would rack to glass after raisng the SG tonight, But leave plenty of headspace in the carboy (for now)

I had to add simple syrup before it got down (or is it up?)to 1.010, it was at 1.016. I made simple syrup with 2 cups water and four cups sugar. I used about 2/3 of it to bring it back up (or is down?) to 1.030.

This was after I squeezed all I could out of the pulp. Let me tell you, I started with 12.5 pounds of pumpkin flesh and ended with less than a pound of pulp. Given water weighs about 7 pounds per gallon, that means I extracted about 1.5 gallons of pumpkin juice. Needless to day, I planned on a about 1.5 gallons and have a somewhere around 3 gallons. I transfered into my 3 gallon carboy thinking it would leave a lot of head space, ended up using most of the three gallon and half of two one-gallon jugs. They are all bubling away as I write.

You will have a lot of fallout, But that is still going to end up being more than planned. You may need a nice big F-pack here in a few weeks.

Well done.... Should be Ok to sit until you get back.

I'm back now. The carboy and two jugs are bubbling the airlock every 15 seconds or so. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Take an SG reading. When the reading is the same for 2 days you will move forward. Take one today for sure.

OK good.... Hopefully it creaps down a little more. I was hoping it made it to 1.010-.998 ish. Make sure your room temp stays good.

Still at 1.010 today. Room temp is hovering around 70. I did not leave the brew belt on while I was away - should I put it back on for a day or two?

70 should be fine. What kind of yeast did you use?

It will be fine, even if it doesn't move any more. That just means you will need to sweeten a little less, and fortify a little more.

Off the Pumpkin Port path for a second.... I just put my Blueberry Port in glass. (thought ya might like to see it).
20091130_171530_blueberry2_002_.JPG

That looks awesome Goodfella!

I am entering the part where I think I messed up the last time. When I rack, do I add campden or something else? How much?

K. when the SG reading is the same for 2-3 days. Then you do the following, in this order...

1) Rack (leaving lee's behind)
2) Degass
3) add 1 camden tablet per gallon AND add sorbate (in amount recommended on bottle, amounts may vary)

Then.... Let sit for about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back