Port for Dummies?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning on using Red Star CHampagne yeast, I also have some Lalvin 71B-1122 if you think it would be better.

Are you saying I should add the DME to the boiling water before maceration?

I used champagne yeast on my Peach Port, and I am happy with it.

I think thats a good idea on th DME. Maybe not boiling, But Hot.

I love using 71b adds a nice mouth feel. Both yeasts have about the same alcohol tolerance. When I add the DME I just mix it in with really hot water and try not to let the steam get to the DME before I pour it.
VC

I have used both champagne and 71B and both seemed to work equally well. I have a question though, what does the DME add to your wine? I have never used this.

In this case skinnydipper is making a port. The DME will add a better viscosity to the wine, not quite but closer to what you get in a port with that nice big mouth feel.
VC

I took the pumpkin out of the freezer last night and made my recipe this morning as planned. I only bought 5# of sugar, and ended up using all of it. Ended with an SG of 1.112. Made my yeast starter. I will write up more details later, the process took much longer than I expected so I have to move on to other tasks.

Nice.... I'm ready to see this one get going. SG of 1.112 is pretty good. If it was still somewhat warm, or hot, you may want to check it again when it has cooled.

Hows the stirring arm holding up?
smiley4.gif

Stirring arm is okay, I won't need physical therapy after this one but it's close!

I decided on the 71B - pitching yeast later this morning.

Took another SG reading, 1.110, and pitched the yeast late this morning. Almost six hours later, just a slight amount of activity. I attached a brew belt about two hours before pitching the yeast. I don't have a thermometer but the air temp in the basement is somewhere around 67 so I was sure the must temp would be a little lower.

I would recommend getting a thermometer skinnydipper. They are invaluable in wine making.

I was going to pick one up the last time I was the myLHBS, but he was out of stock. So I spent my money on stuff I didn't need.

I think you will be OK... 67 degree's with a brew belt. I might be crazy, but I think the temp goes up a couple degree's while fermenting.

Just checked again, more activity starting. When I made a failed pumpkin wine last year, it took forever for the fermentation to start but once it finally started it went like gang busters.

There was quite a bit of activity this morning when I punched down. When I got home this afternoon, I could smell the party. Just punched down again and there is a lot of action. I tried to take an SG, but there is so much foam I couldn't read the hydrometer. It looks somewhere aroun 1106 +/-. Is that possible after just one day? Started at 1112, it was at 1110 when I pitched the yeast. The must was also slightly warm at intitial and probably just under 70 when I pitched.

Dang, I need to get a thermometer.

Oh - and I don;t think I planned this so well. We are goign away for Thanksgiving, it looks like I'll be away when it's time to transfer. Any ideas what to do?

I predict this this will get going strong. You could get to dropping .020 or more per day. Do your SG reading in a test tube or something like it if you can, its easier to manage the foam.

What day do you leave for thanksgiving, and what day do you get back?

Latest posts

Back