Polar Vortex? I blame Ray Way.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bhahahaha! That's fantastic!

Have you ever seen KMart's Ship My Pants commercial?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL4lSavSepc[/ame]

Bhahahaha!!!!

Alright, alright...I'll join you in the corner. But you're bringing the wine!

One of the greatest commercials ever. When I first saw it I emailed the Youtube link to just about everyone I knew.

Joined the (wind-corrected) delta-T=200 club

Julie, blame me if you want; but you should do as Steve is. Bottle of wine and a crackling fire. (That, or a spin in the jacuzzi!)

I have a friend who "wintered over" at the South Pole. They actually have a jacuzzi hot tub there, and they play a little game called the delta-T=200 club. You sit in a hot tub at over 100 F, and then you run naked out into the night where the temperatures are -100 F. (You have to run out some number of yards and touch something and run back.) Then, of course, you jump back in the hot tub.

Well I don't have a jacuzzi, but I did take a spin in my sauna. Got nice and toasty at 175 F. Then strolled stark naked into the backyard at -13 F. That is only delta-T=188, but if you count the wind chill, which was -34 F, then I made it to a (wind-corrected) value of delta-T=209.

(I realize this is not nearly the same feat as the South-Pole crew, but what the hey.)

I don't typically put much stock in wind chill. That is what it feels like on exposed flesh, but who goes out in this weather with exposed flesh? Oh, right, silly ol' me.:slp

I was also sopping wet from the shower, so my hair froze. In case you are wondering, the hair on your head freezes more quickly.

........Julie, blame me if you want; but you should do as Steve is. Bottle of wine and a crackling fire. (That, or a spin in the jacuzzi!).........

I did do what Steve did last night and I'll be doing it again tonight :)

Dan: corner. :D.........

I don't think he has ever left the corner!

I thought you were going to tell Julie to spin the bottle fopr a second and had to take another look, I guess that would warm things up also!!! :HB;)

Wade, it has been a long time since you were sent to the corner! :ft

Last edited:
Vortex?
What vortex?

I refuse to Acknowledge the cold. I am still wearing my fleece, with a sweater under it!
I will not pull out my winter coat until it gets cold!!!

Nice try Ray Way, but try again!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Hey Paul!
My friend's Dad was the one who put up the only 'palm tree' north of the arctic circle. It's made of metal, but it's still a palm tree :)

We used to do that with the outdoor hot tubs too: sit in it til you were good and hot, then hop out, roll in the snow, and hop back in again. Good times!

Elmer: way to cope! Lol.

Last edited:
Wade E said:
We had some blistering cold days a couple nights ago. The Dishwasher supply line which runs inside our kitchen cabinets along an exterior wall froze up the other night but luckily I caught it before it split and thawed it out with a few heaters. Temp here is dropping again for a few days but not as bad as last week and nothing compared to you Rae!!!!!!!! Your freakin nuts over there!!!!!!

That has happened to us a handful of times so far! Argh! Husband is going to rip out the dishwasher next spring and insulate the exterior wall that it's on :)

Hey Paul!
My friend's Dad was the one who put up the only 'palm tree' north of the arctic circle. It's made of metal, but it's still a palm tree :)

We used to do that with the outdoor hot tubs too: sit in it til you were good and hot, then hop out, roll in the snow, and hop back in again. Good times!

Well, I have seen real, live palm trees growing just south of the Arctic Circle. Energy is so cheap in Iceland that they have heated, lighted greenhouses growing bananas and some palm trees.

I have done the rolling-in-the-snow thing with my sauna a couple of times, but don't plan on doing it again. The snow sticks to you too much! And jumping in a sauna is not the same thing as jumping in a hot tub!

I have done the Polar Bear Plunge before. It always cracks me up to think that the most crowded day on the beach in Milwaukee is Jan. 1st!

Polar1.jpg

Polar2.jpg

Latest posts

Back