Plum wine revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats typically how I ended up here!
20081106_174353_Volcano.jpg

Good Job. Thats hilarious.. looks like something I could do. hey, it looks like my plum wine.
smiley36.gif

That is a good pick to prepare us newbies to maybe put towels on the floor. I am due to mix mine (degas?) on Monday if the sg is good.

Degassed the plum this morning, not much gas.. Still a bit cloudy but getting better.Sg 1,001..and not going any lower.. which is ok.. plan on backsweetening at bottling time anyway to about 1,005.
20081210_113220_plumwine_Small.jpg
Edited by: RkyMtnWine

Beautiful color....

How does it taste???

Were they wild plums or the big purple ones????

Nice festive touch with the Holiday figurines...

Edited by: Northern Winos

I love my plum wine so much. Next year Im going to make a serious batch of this stuff!

Since you've degassed already, whywouldn't you go ahead and stabilize and backsweeten now rather than at bottling time and risk renewed fermentation in the bottle?

I see 2 ways of thinking on this question, some like to wait till its aged a little as the wine will seem a little sweeter after the wine has mellowed a bit. Some like to sweeten now in case there is some drop out from what they add to sweeten and Ive seen even the simple syrup cloud up a wine once or twice so what I do is sweeten now but just keep it a little lower then what I really want.

mix of plums from neighbors tree and some fresh ones purchased from grocery store.. Believe they were California plums.. Very nice flavor.. not much smell of the plum but it is there. I would like to have it completely clear before I stabilize it.. after that let it sit for a while and then backsweeten... let it sit for a week or so and make sure it doesnt referment... please correct me if I should do this different.

I like to sweeten before it clears as sometimes that clouds it back up, Ive had it happen to me twice with simple syrup which I dont really ever use anymore as i like the juice thing better unless its a white grape wine.

No taste test yet... will be bottling this morning and see how it is... its gotta be good...no other option.

That does have a very nice color, it has to be good.

Way to stay with it, nice work

Beautiful!!!
We usually rack again after using Super-Kleer....sometimes it does drop even more...Hard to believe it would as clear as your is.

bottles and tastes great... love the color.And bottled.

Now i have a question for you serious wine makers... When you first started in the hobby... how did you keep peoples hands out of the cookie jar until its aged.. gads.. i am running out of wine... and nothings aged..

bottled
20090120_171843_01_20_09_001_Sm.JPG

RkyMtnWine said:
bottles and tastes great... love the color.And bottled.

Now i have a question for you serious wine makers... When you first started in the hobby... how did you keep peoples hands out of the cookie jar until its aged.. gads.. i am running out of wine... and nothings aged..

bottled
20090120_171843_01_20_09_001_Sm.JPG

Make massive amounts of wine to keep ahead of greedy hands.

Also let friends and family know that this is your hobby and while you appreciate that they like it, it costs a fair amount of money to make it. That usually gets the point across. If that doesn't work, give them your worst unaged wine you have- knowing they will drink it too young and not be in such a hurry for replacements.

Here is what I keep in my wine cellar to keep everyones hands out!
2-1.jpg

Just kidding, here is my security!
Thor2-1.jpg

and when that aint enough I have back up!
Guns.jpg

Back