campden tab and Sparkolloid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyT

Reaction score
I never used the campden tabs when I started my primary (used bottled juice) and didn't use it when I put in secondary. Tomorrow I'm going to rack them into another bottle (gallon sizes) and put airlocks on them till I'm ready to back sweeten and bottle. peach and the rasberry are clear with very little lees on center of bottom of bottle. The berry mix is still really cloudy in all their jugs and I want to know if I can use the campden tabs along with Sparkolloid in the berry mix?? Also, Sparkolloid says to mix with water and boil for a while. Does it go into the wine while hot??

If you have patience you don't need sparkolloid. My raspberry cleared nicely in about 2 1/2 months.
I would definitely use the campden tablets. Yes, the sparkalloid goes in hot. Keep in mind the mix (1 tbl to 8 oz water, I think) is for a 6 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly.

If you have patience you don't need sparkolloid. My raspberry cleared nicely in about 2 1/2 months.
I would definitely use the campden tablets. Yes, the sparkalloid goes in hot. Keep in mind the mix (1 tbl to 8 oz water, I think) is for a 6 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly.
Thanks! I need to use that room for my veg seedlings and don't want to risk any gnats getting in my wine and that's why I want to get the berry clear and put in another room just to sit till I'm ready to backsweeten.

@LucyT You can let it clear under airlock for months. Just rack it with the campden tablet, add the airlock, and let it sit in its new location.

I never used clearing agents until I started doing bigger batches. Time is your friend, as long as you have the wine under airlock at this point.

Degassing after you rack it will help it to clear faster, as well. It will naturally degas over time, though. Again, as long as you add a campden tablet per gallon every 3 months or so and make sure your airlocks aren't dry, you can let the wine degas and clear over the next few months without doing anything else until you are ready to backsweeten.

Edited to add: make sure the jug/carboy is topped off - at this point, headspace should be avoided.

@LucyT You can let it clear under airlock for months. Just rack it with the campden tablet, add the airlock, and let it sit in its new location.

I never used clearing agents until I started doing bigger batches. Time is your friend, as long as you have the wine under airlock at this point.

Degassing after you rack it will help it to clear faster, as well. It will naturally degas over time, though. Again, as long as you add a campden tablet per gallon every 3 months or so and make sure your airlocks aren't dry, you can let the wine degas and clear over the next few months without doing anything else until you are ready to backsweeten.

Edited to add: make sure the jug/carboy is topped off - at this point, headspace should be avoided.
I'll probably just let it sit and worry about the Sparkolloid later! Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back