Pinot Grigio- Juice turned PINK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

tomcat

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm now to this web site. I began as a beer brewer, however in the past few years I have began making wine.

I just bought 6 gallons of Pinot Grigio juice from California. When I picked it up at the fruit distributor the juice was very cold. I put the juice in my basement for a couple of days to warm up a bit. I pitched yeast today and I noticed that the juice has turned a pinkish hue. What's up with that? It was a straw color to begin with. Did it oxidize or something? Does anybody know? Will it return to the straw color when it is finished fermenting?

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Pink is not an oxidized color so I dont think thats what it is although Ive never seen this color from yeast but could very well be just the yeast. Oxidized usually turns brown like an apple cider. I think your fine. Is there any other factors like fermenting bucket or any additives besides yeast?

tomcat

Junior
Reaction score
As with brewing I keep everything clean. I used b-brite in the fermentor and used 2 pkgs of Cotes deblanc (sorry about the spelling). The wine is fermenting though.

Tom

Reaction score
I never seen that either I make alot of Pinot Grigio from juice and never seen pink. Let it do its thing and taste as you go looking for off flavors.

Latest posts