Pink gunk in secondary.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosyden

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is just sediment that has been carried up with the CO2 bubbles. It is the same colour as the sediment. Can someone confirm please.
Many thanks.
6E195920-6D48-4845-9B3A-F508401EB95D.jpeg

I’ve had secondary fermentation that probably got energized by racking and new oxygen, had wine in the airlock, probably was foam that condensed. I would probably let it settled down and maybe in a few days, rack again just to have things a little cleaner. Probably not an issue if you ignore it as well.

I’ve had secondary fermentation that probably got energized by racking and new oxygen, had wine in the airlock, probably was foam that condensed. I would probably let it settled down and maybe in a few days, rack again just to have things a little cleaner. Probably not an issue if you ignore it as well.
Thanks Bob, that’s what I was thinking. I transferred it from the bucket to a demijohn when the fermentation seemed to have slowed. It got going again soon after I racked it. Good to read that you’ve had similar. I’ll leave it another week. It’s my first fruit wine and I assumed it was normal but I haven’t seen the same in my second attempt. I’ve looked at my notes and I think I know what I did differently and what might have caused it. Thanks.
I've had similar with small headspace and within a couple days of racking. Fermentation still looks active. How soon did it show up after racking? And just curious, what are you making?
Hi Dave, it appeared maybe a day after I transferred it. The SG was 1.012. After a week I checked the SG at 1.002, cleaned the pink gunk off the bung, re sanitised, topped up and refitted the airlock. That was 4 days ago. Like I replied to Bob, I wasn’t concerned until I noticed that there’s no gunk in my second try. (This one is gooseberry, second is rhubarb). The only difference I can see in my notes is that I stirred the gooseberry maybe 6 hours before I racked it but left the rhubarb 36+ hours after stirring before racking. I’m guessing I transferred much more sediment with the gooseberry.
I think the fermentation is about done. As there’s no movement in the airlock today. I’ll check the SG in a couple of days and then rack next weekend. Apart from the pink gunk, it’s clearing really well.
6FFA0FC1-9D7B-4B2D-8B18-10EE6912643D.jpeg

@Cosyden I'm still a beginner but early on I wondered about a lot of things too. I had a couple "Is this normal?" type of posts. Part of the process we go through, I imagine. And you never know - one of those times might NOT be "normal".

Like I replied to Bob, I wasn’t concerned until I noticed that there’s no gunk in my second try.
They are different fruits, so they won't have the same "gunk". You may find that 2 identical batches will act differently -- all part of Mother Nature reminding you that you are not in charge. ;)

Keep posting questions -- in addition to settling your mind, in the future others will search the forum and find answers.

Thanks lads, while there’s stuff to learn, I’ll keep asking.

@winemaker81 I see what you mean! I transferred my mixed berry into secondaries tonight. It’s acting totally different to both the gooseberry and the rhubarb. I find the whole thing fascinating to be honest. I think I’m going to give beech leaf a try tomorrow, just 1 or 2 gallons as a tester. Interested to see if that is different again.

Latest posts

Back