Piesporter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpdm

Junior
Reaction score
With my first batch of red, Pinot Noir, underway and in secondary ferment I was thinking about starting a whit kit. Has anyone tried Piesporter from wine Expert - Selection series?

THIS is a excellent wine for your cellar, great flavor and medium body wine ,try it you'll like it.:b

I made the WE Vintners Reserve version last year and it was pretty good. Aged 5 months and bottled in April. I have 12 bottles left. I would think the Selection series would be even better. I was thinking I need to make another Piesporter so maybe I'll move up to a better kit.

The wine expert selection Piesporter is truly superb once its had 5 months aging. I keep making other whites but they don't seem to come close. Think i would have a heart attack if they discontinued this kit! :h

This is the wine Im making now. It is our first one and Im looking forward to it as long as I don't screw up. LOL Its good to read that Its a good choice. I do have to ask, what happens to the elderflowers that you add at fermentation? Is there anything left? Do you have to filter off anything or is it dissolved in?

Last edited:
some of the elderflowers will sink to bottom. careful racking in to secondary will remove the rest. some may still enter the secondary but subsequent racking should remove those also.

some of the elderflowers will sink to bottom. careful racking in to secondary will remove the rest. some may still enter the secondary but subsequent racking should remove those also.

Thanks for the reply. Today is day 5, Im gonna check the SG tonight and most likely transfer on Saturday

SG is at about .993 but the wine is very cloudy, Is this normal? And a lot of the elderflowers are floating on top right now. It still seams to be fizzing like, I guess its maybe still fermenting.

SG is at about .993 but the wine is very cloudy, Is this normal? And a lot of the elderflowers are floating on top right now. It still seams to be fizzing like, I guess its maybe still fermenting.

Yes Cloudiness is normal at this point.

If you are at .993 your ferment is probably done or very near. You can check 3 days in a row to be sure it is not going down anymore. But if your hydrometer is accurate, you should be done. Have you already transferred from your primary bucket to your carboy? If not, now is a good time.

You can still see fizz as the yeast produced a lot of carbon dioxide that is trapped in the wine. temperature, air pressure affect how quickly that CO2 is released. Your kit instructions will have you degas the wine, and then stabilize and clear the wine with the other packets of chemicals. I think that wine has a F-pack which you also add to add a little sweetness and additional flavor.

Cloudiness will clear over time, usually it take longer than the instructions say before the wine is very clear. With wines patience will make them better.

Yes Cloudiness is normal at this point.

If you are at .993 your ferment is probably done or very near. You can check 3 days in a row to be sure it is not going down anymore. But if your hydrometer is accurate, you should be done. Have you already transferred from your primary bucket to your carboy? If not, now is a good time.

You can still see fizz as the yeast produced a lot of carbon dioxide that is trapped in the wine. temperature, air pressure affect how quickly that CO2 is released. Your kit instructions will have you degas the wine, and then stabilize and clear the wine with the other packets of chemicals. I think that wine has a F-pack which you also add to add a little sweetness and additional flavor.

Cloudiness will clear over time, usually it take longer than the instructions say before the wine is very clear. With wines patience will make them better.
Thanks. Yes I have transferred. It was still pretty fizzy for a day after then last night some time something happened and the bubbler got filled with extra liquid and some crud and this morning the fizzing seems to have stopped to the point of being not visible.There is not further bubbling in the bubbler either.

Racked over to a new carboy this morning for final clarifying and fining. Its very tasty right now and should finish clearing up in the last 14 days before bottling. Very cool.

Bottled it tonight. Got a good amount out of it. Ended up at 27 bottles and two glasses to enjoy after. LOL

Last edited:
wine

Wife and i are makking this wine for our sons wedding, gonna let it age till october as wedding is in nov. gonna use the small bottles for table decorations.

Wife and i are makking this wine for our sons wedding, gonna let it age till october as wedding is in nov. gonna use the small bottles for table decorations.

The only thing I would change in making this would be to put the elder flowers in a bag instead of loose. Not sure if it would give the same flavor but it was messy loose in the wine.

I bottled my Piesporter on 1/3/2015 so I have only done Quality Control at bottling:b I made 2 tweaks. I added 3/4 lbs of sugar to primary and I chilled the primary to extend fermentation. I also bagged my elder flowers and squeezed daily (just like one would do with grape skins). It ended with an AVB of 14%. My 1st impression at bottling is: Man this stuff is going to be good! I'll make this one again!

Back