WineXpert Picturesof my Three Babies!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
20070312_170513_100_7532_Small.JPG
Edited by: cindyjo

My husband helped me figure out how to post pictures but then we couldn't figure out how to put in a message. Anyway, that is my Pinot grigio in the carboy, my Reisling in the bottle ( only three bottles left of that) and Christinawith the curls. She is 19 months old and loves talking about "mama's juice" which is what we call my wine. Mama needs her juice after runningaround with Christina all day. Enjoy
BTW my husband is pretty good at lifting carboy's too.Edited by: cindyjo

Shes cute! Looks like she takes after mommy with the bottle though!
smiley36.gif

That carboy dosent appear to be topped up enough since it looks like its in the clearing stage.

Your daughter is gorgeous!

Good eye Johnny! 2" from the bung is the rule of thumb Cindyjo! Get it topped up for your sake!

I knew some one was going to get me on the topping off. I did add a lot of water to raise the level but did not want to add any more because I was worried about weakening the taste. I did not have any marbles. We have also all had the flu for the past 3 weeks and I really did not even look at the wine during that time. It is ready to bottle so I will be better about topping off in the next batch

Cindyjo,

Find yourself a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio and use that, especially if you can't get it bottled in a few days. With that much sediment, I would rack, top off, and let it set for a little while longer. Just my two cents. Your daughter is beautiful!

Beautiful daughter! Wine looks good, and sorry to hear about the flue, 3 weeks is a long time to be ill.

Cindy, I am far far from knowing what the hell Im doing, but I will give you this advice, in your next batches top off with like wine, marbles, or rack to a 5 gal carboy. Dont use water. From the few kits I have done, I can tell that adding water WILL weaken the wine.

Yes I dont care what the kits say about being able to top up with a
little water as I did this a few times and tasted before and after and
thought of night and day. I know top up with wine or rack to smaller
carboy and a 3 liter bottle.

All three of your babies look great!! You must be so proud.
smiley9.gif
Do your hubby a favor and get him a handle for that carboy. I'm new to this sport too, and it's one of the best $6 you can spend.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5162

Also be careful about the marbles you add to top off, if you choose to go that route. We bought a bag to top off (didn't want to add water either) and found in small print that they were not for aquarium use, which probably means they would not fair well in your wine either. I guess there are marbles for show and marbles for fish tanks and wine.Don't know what the difference is, but better safe than sorry.

GrapeApe.

The difference is some are porous and will trap bacteria inside where you can not clean.

GrapeApe said:
All three of your babies look great!!   You must be so proud. 
smiley9.gif
  Do your hubby a favor and get him a handle for that carboy.   I'm new to this sport too, and it's one of the best $6 you can spend.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5162

Also be careful about the marbles you add to top off, if you choose to go that route.   We bought a bag to top off (didn't want to add water either) and found in small print that they were not for aquarium use, which probably means they would not fair well in your wine either.I guess there are marbles for show and marbles for fish tanks and wine.Don't know what the difference is, but better safe than sorry.

GrapeApe. 

GrapeApe....were they glass marbles or resin...I think some of those marbles for crafts are not made of glass....just a thought.

They did appear to be made of clearglass. I was curious about this, so I asked around and heard from a family member who worked in a large craft store that some shipments of glass marbles came in bulk45 pound boxes and the bottom of some of those boxes were covered in glass dust or even small shards of glass.
smiley11.gif
So my guess is there isa difference in the brittleness, hardness,or productionof the marbles from the "for show" and "for aquarium" uses. Either way the thought of introducing glass dust to my wine was enough to convince me todonate a bottle of alike kind wine oruse the 5 gallon carboy to top off. At the very minimum, I would suggest a complete rinse and inspectionof any marbles placed in a carboy.

GrapeApe.

Latest posts

Back