Photos of your winemaking setup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a lot of people using those Carboy carriers around the necks of the carboys. Be very carful with those. They are not to be used with full carboys only empties. If you carry a full one the neck can snap clean off.

My best equipment investments so far have been my Brew Haulers, which have been available at really good prices if you scour Amazon. They take up very little space when not in use and they perform flawlessly. The webbing on the bottom helps prevent breakage when setting the carboy on hard surfaces, too. I've even used them on 7.5 carboys with no problems. By buying a few at a time, I have almost got enough now to keep one permanently on each carboy.

I see a lot of people using those Carboy carriers around the necks of the carboys. Be very carful with those. They are not to be used with full carboys only empties. If you carry a full one the neck can snap clean off.

When carrying a full carboy, I use the Carboy carriers in one hand to balance & guide carboy while using my good arm to support the bottom.

I have to say that a 6 gallon carboy when full can be quite heavy. Even more so when I am walking it down my basment staircase!

Thanks for advice!

When carrying a full carboy, I use the Carboy carriers in one hand to balance & guide carboy while using my good arm to support the bottom.

I have to say that a 6 gallon carboy when full can be quite heavy. Even more so when I am walking it down my basment staircase!

Thanks for advice!

Get The Brew Haulers JSwordy is talking about. I also use them they work really well and are safe. Maybe you can find a better price but here is a link to them. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

This is most of the set-up that my wife and I have. We don't have very much going on at the present time, waiting for fruit to come into season for this year. Just 9 gallons of strawberry, 12 gallons of apple, 6 gallons of quadberry dragons blood, and 6 gallons of Eclipse Old Vines Zin. Boxes under the tables are cleaned bottles waiting patiently to be reused.

Boxes you see on the floor are waiting to be tipped on their sides and put away, just bottled a week or so ago. They include some Chilean buckets Merlot, Cab Sauv, Carmene, Pinot Noir, Malbec, Sryah from last year. Some locally grown Chambourcin, candy cane, and chocolate covered cherry. I think that is all.

We also have storage for smaller fermenting buckets and carboys under our stairs that I didn't include. Our children say my we need to slow down, of course that is as they drive off with a case of wine and rave about it.

20130509_101242.jpg

20130509_101251.jpg

I have been converting a space in my basement as my wine cellar and brew room. Here is the progress so far.

Get The Brew Haulers JSwordy is talking about. I also use them they work really well and are safe. Maybe you can find a better price but here is a link to them. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

Not to be Mr. One-Up-Ya, but I really suggest Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OF8V5W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Look under More Buying Choices and you'll see one for $10.35 when shipping is added (learn_to_brew). Buy several and companies usually cut you a shipping deal.

This is slightly higher than I was paying. For awhile there I could get them for $7.99 with shipping.

As for the pix immediately above, that's what I lack: a basement. Can't build them here, they fill with water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Dang..... I'm drooling. I have to steal floor space all over my pantry and kitchen. I've even had to stick carboys in my bathroom on occasion.

Right now there's even one on top of my fridge. But that's because we were under a boil notice for the last week due to a water infection and its full of boiled and "stabilized" water.

I was drinking cooking and washing dishes with water that has a slight wine aftertaste until this morning when they lifted it.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the inspiration. This is what I came up with so far.

IMG_1098.jpg

Here is my madness so far

This is what I have so far in the basement. Just in the process of building a counter and adding in the sink. I have to do some plumbing and electrical for a little extra light over the work space. The basement is a mess considering all together between the wine space and fish tank set up you can see in the one pic there is 16 foot counter space. Oh yeah plus about 6 foot of an old counter I currently have sitting in an L shape to give me more room. I need to build a platform for the sink to bring it level with the counter and enclose the bottom shelf to keep everything dark for my carboys.

wine setup.jpg

Wine setup2.jpg

Wine setup 3.jpg

Last edited:
Josh, what is in the 2 clear bottles in the first photo :rdo Looking good. I still need to do a sink I have plans for it and have the plumbing done I have been looking for a stainless steel sink and counter from a food service kitchen.

I would love to put a sink in my basement, this way I could move the entire operation downstairs.
However since my main drain is elevated this requires a pump and much more work and money then the warden would approve!

But all this photos make me seriously jealous!

Josh, what is in the 2 clear bottles in the first photo :rdo Looking good. I still need to do a sink I have plans for it and have the plumbing done I have been looking for a stainless steel sink and counter from a food service kitchen.

In the two bottles is some dragons blood. I had just backsweetened it the day before and wanted to steal a couple bottles from the carboy before I bottle everything in a couple days. I decided to put the sink in but not dig up my concrete for plumbing. My drain is about 12 ft away and Im going to see how it works out just running some pvc from the sink to the drain. I will only keep it there when I need to use the sink for an extended period of time. At other times I have a bucket underneath that will work for just rinsing a couple things then empty the bucket ;)

Finally got my basement rearranged and new sink plumbed in. Still working on raised platform for primaries.

ForumRunner_20130513_194428.jpg

rack getting empty... Space for a seville...
ForumRunner_20130513_194439.jpg

2nd and 3rd shelves are full of empty and cleaned bottles
ForumRunner_20130513_194449.jpg

Current line up
ForumRunner_20130513_194459.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130513_194419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130513_194419.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
I have a finished basement but I tried to contain most of my wine making in the basement room under the stairs. I also have a closet for storing extra carboys, bottles, as well as a wine rack. I am lucky in that I have a sink in this room. I can keep 3 or 4 carboys going and still have a little room to move around. I just bottled a Yakima Valley Chardonnay and a batch of Dragon's Blood so those carboys are empty. What you see in the full carboy is another batch of Dragons Blood - this time with no lemon and added bananas & raisins - to be bottled tonight. Tomorrow I will start in the primary a cellar craft Yakima Valley Riesling. Next week, a Super Tuscan is on deck.

image-3868944908.jpg

Last edited:
I'd post pix but there's not much to see. My cleaning, sanitizing, racking & bottling is done in my kitchen. Unless I am working with my wine there's nothing there to see. My plastic bins, bottle tree, all my equipment, my corks, seals, labels, & all additives are kept in covered plastic bins on a high shelf in my laundry room along with extra jugs and fermententation pails on the floor. I keep my hydrometer and test jar in the kitchen window. My unused carboys are partially filled with sanitizer and kept in the family room with the cart used to move carboys from the fermentation room (my half-bath) to the kitchen. That cart is storage for my vacuum pump. Currently, my half bath has two carboys of fermenting/aging wine. My empty bottles are kept in wine boxes throughout my garage; they are stored by type. As scattered as it sounds, all this equipment is within 15 steps of each other.

Boy it must be nice to have one room or area where everything is done!

NS

Back