How do you blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trick is to avoid "paint by varietals (numbers) e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon + Merlot + Cabernet Franc has to the best. No it doesn't.
You raise a good point, especially as "best" is so subjective. You've really made me think about this.

The more I think about it, I don't believe the label "best" can be applied to any wine. "Best right now"? Sure, as "best" requires a qualifier. In my thinking, I don't even consider "best" -- I choose varietals that will produce a good outcome.

This fall I'm planning a pair of 3 grape blends (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot) with CS dominant in one and CF dominant in the other. Why? Because a commercial wine I've loved for decades is a CF dominant blend with CS and Merlot, so why live with a few bottles if I can make a few cases. And since I'll have a bunch of CS, I might as well make the other blend as well. My experience with red Vinifera is that these blends will turn out good -- hopefully very good.

The word "experience" is key, as I'm working off my own direct experience as well as the experience of others. The Red Blend Ideas thread I started a couple of years ago is geared towards this -- folks post the blends they've made that worked out well, to give others ideas that should work out well.

My takeaway from your comment is to always think things through and make an informed decision.

One thing I should point out is to make sure you go over your fermentation notes so you don’t overdo an additive you may have already added. Like what I did. I had added glycerin to my Marquette in May and forgot so when I added 1 oz per gallon to my blend it turned out a little sweet. The blend is about 1.6 oz per gallon, the only downside is it’s so easy to drink now. Not a bad result at all.

One thing I should point out is to make sure you go over your fermentation notes so you don’t overdo an additive you may have already added. Like what I did. I had added glycerin to my Marquette in May and forgot so when I added 1 oz per gallon to my blend it turned out a little sweet. The blend is about 1.6 oz per gallon, the only downside is it’s so easy to drink now. Not a bad result at all.
^This. I am currently learning that with aging tannins. I may have overdone it a bit on some wine that I thought was less than spectacular.

Thank you for all of the replies. I have been too busy with work and travel and catching up in the vineyard (where I’m terribly behind). I have not beeen a good farmer this year. Poor fruit set, some kind of disease or nutrient problem with the cab.

But thanks again for the advice and guidance. We are going to give it a go. It’s from our very first harvest (on three year old vines) so expectations are not very high. I’ve heard you need minimum 5 year old vines before you can start to produce decent grapes …. and you tend to your farming ;)

I didn't read the entire thread thoroughly so excuse me it I'm repeating anything. I use 100 ml graduated cylinders to make the blends. If using 3 wines I'll make one of the 3 the majority of the blend, say 75% with the other 25% of one of the other varietals and with a side by side tasting see which one I like best and then second best. The hard part is the best combination may not use all of the varietals and you have some left over. I'll bottle 2 or 3 of what I think are the best blends and let them sit for a few week then make my final decision. Once the bulk blending is done the blend sits in a carboy for a month or two. I find that the combination of the wines sometimes causes a reaction that produces further sediment fallout. I'm usually pleased with the final blend but sometimes I can't decide which I like best and just have to pick one.

Latest posts

Back