WineXpert Ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two month old.
You are at the place where you should be asking how is the flavor developing and do treatments only if a less acid flavor (and lower TA) justifies it. From a process point 3.34 is a better place than 3.64.

If it’s a kit, and assuming you didn’t add acid, the PH is what it’s supposed to be and shouldn’t need adjusting. Though how does it taste?

I’d be surprised if it was really that acidic. Either way, with a PH between 3.2 to 3.45 or so your better off balancing by adding sorbate and backsweetening rather than deacidifying.

To me it doesn't taste that good yet. I dont have a developed palate and I only tasted a drop. It did give me a tinge in my teeth. I will be racking it this weekend so I'll give it a better taste.

To me it doesn't taste that good yet. I dont have a developed palate and I only tasted a drop. It did give me a tinge in my teeth. I will be racking it this weekend so I'll give it a better taste.

Don't expect your baby wine to taste like anything you ever had commercially, yet. It is probably a bit sharp, perhaps the alcohol seems very pronounced. And as someone else said, if it is a wine kit, changing the acid level is probably not a good idea. It will be what it should be, provided you added the appropriate amount of water at the start. Changing it is generally discouraged. Although it is your wine and you can do with it as you please.

Why are you racking? If you don’t have a lot of sediment, I’d leave it alone. I’ve done better leaving kits alone after primary and just adding K meta every three months. I’ve let a kit age for 5 to 8 months without racking.
I added the chitosan/keilsosol as instructed and its all settle out. Should I just leave it on the lees?

Okay, I understand. I usually let everything clear unless it is really stubborn. Reds mostly clear on their own. White fruits can be harder to clear.

I added the chitosan/keilsosol as instructed and its all settle out. Should I just leave it on the lees?

I might be wrong, but I don't really call those the lees. And I might even go so far as to say you don't get lees with wine kits. You racked out of your primary and left behind the vast majority of dead yeast and other nastiness that leads to off-tastes. With wine kits, since I am going to bulk age for 6 months at least, I generally don't rack for a second time for a month, maybe more. I haven't had issues with off-tastes. But then I don't add the clearing agents until about a week, maybe two before I plan to rack again.

I might be wrong, but I don't really call those the lees. And I might even go so far as to say you don't get lees with wine kits. You racked out of your primary and left behind the vast majority of dead yeast and other nastiness that leads to off-tastes. With wine kits, since I am going to bulk age for 6 months at least, I generally don't rack for a second time for a month, maybe more. I haven't had issues with off-tastes. But then I don't add the clearing agents until about a week, maybe two before I plan to rack again.
I thought that what I have is considered fine lees and on primary its gross lees. Ill send a pic later. Theres a thick layer of whitish stuff on the bottom

Kits do drop gross lees, which is fruit solids. Not as much as fresh grapes, but still some. That first drop that is often kind of gummy acting is gross lees. The whitish stuff that drops later is the fine lees, although it may be purple in red wines.

Latest posts

Back