pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
I just started a batch of mead with just honey and water and the pH is 5.3. Should I add some acid to bring it down a little?

I would.

Just add slow, mix well and recheck often; there's probably not much of a buffering capacity to the mixture, so the pH may swing harder/wider/farther than it would under more 'regular wine making conditions'.

I'd probably add 1/4 of what you think you'll need, then recheck, and add another 1/4; rinse/repeat until it's where you want it (~ 3.4 ish)

How confident are you that your measurement of pH is accurate? To me, 5.3 seems surprisingly high. How alkaline is your water?

Never mind it is at 3.8 tonight. I have this pH meter and it was calibrated so I am pretty confused. I also had the must stirred very well as I had just vigorously stirred adding O2. The SG dropped from 1.08 to 1.072 in the first 24 hours.

That sounds about right. As a general rule I don't add acid to my meads since they tend to drop in PH pretty easily.. Plus, they generally start out with a pretty low ph to start with anyways.

Latest posts

Back