PH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I have just googled "why adjust ph in wine"

I read quite a lot. I think the articles lead me to believe that ph is more important than TA

I always adjust ta and wonder if i should switch to adjusting the PH only

As long as the pH is in the desired range for a style and type of wine, the TA is more important in my humble opinion. pH is more important in affecting color, stability and keeping wine from spoiling. But then TA is more important in taste perception- and to me that is the most important. As long as pH is adjusted to keep the wine, TA has more of an influence on how we like the wine. It doesn't do any good to have a wine keep if we don't want to drink it because it is flabby or to tart.

appleman said:
What you been up to lately Scotty. Have you started any interesting wines or cheeses or meats?

We just finished smoking our first from scratch bacon.
A pork belly is brined for a few days then smoked.We will slice and try it tomorrow.

I stopped wine making for the colder months. I like the yeast to be happy.
We just bottled 15 750ml bottles of white grape peach that was bulk aging for over9 months. We combined this with a home made pastrami sandwich party

Here is a link to our food smoking photos
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/SMOKING%20FOOD/

We arestarting to appreciate dry wines as we progress with our learning.

We have a few aging
6 gal shiraz
6 gal fruit coctail
6 ga oj wine
6 gal concord grape

We are riding the motorcycle less because of the brutal cold

Thanks for asking
smiley1.gif
Edited by: scotty

thanks for posting the link--it is good reading
smiley1.gif
I just saved it to re read.Edited by: scotty

Thanks Masta for reposting the link. You did a real good job with your explanations-much better than I could hope to.

Scotty however do you get through your brutal 2 week winter there whe it gets down to - oh say 30 a couple times?

The wines and smoked meats sound good. So you haven't started with the cheese yet?

smiley1.gif
appleman said:
Thanks Masta for reposting the link. You did a real good job with your explanations-much better than I could hope to.

Scotty however do you get through your brutal 2 week winter there whe it gets down to - oh say 30 a couple times?

The wines and smoked meats sound good. So you haven't started with the cheese yet?

I'm pre occupied with mods to the electrical systems of 2 of my bikes.

I have all the parts now for what I hope will be an automatic de gasser but havent tried to connect them yet.
Rocky just got another computer from her daughter and my son just this minute finished tying it into theprintre through the router.

Kielbassa is high on the list as is
a batch of italian sausages.

Nick just cut the pvc for the cheese press.

I am hesitating doing cheese for a bit because i want some way to automatically controll/maintain the milk tempat 90 degrees or a couple of other temperatures below 212. I will have to stop at the ac supply house some day i guess.

Any ideas.

1 or 2 gallons of milk in a stainless pot held at about 90.

Sometimes it must be brought higher slowly.

I just havent remembered or come across something that has controll over the heat source.

I dont have a fancy stove.Edited by: scotty

Scotty:

When I made cheese, I just heated on the stove till the temp got close, then kept it in a sink full of water that is at the temp that I wanted the milk at. It was very easy to keep at the temps I needed for a while at a time. Then when you need to raise the temp, just add hot water to the sink and the temp goes up on te milk in the pan. just don't over do it, go slow.

Don't know if you have ever seen this web site, but it's pretty good:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

Yes i have the link. i think it is the best place for cheese making.

The method you are using is actually the best acording to all my cheesey reading.

I just like gadjets
smiley36.gif

Thanks for the inputEdited by: scotty

appleman said:

We suffer down south under 70 degrees F.

In February, the average temperature actually get higher each week.

NYAAAAAAAAAA appleman
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back