Ph went down! during maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoors

Reaction score
10 lugs- 8 cab sauv 2 syrah. I have a cheap ph meter that registered my ph at 3.75 before I pitched the yeast. Did all the normal things- yeast starter, fed the yeast, regular punchdowns. Temps never exceeded 83/84. Current gravity is very close to 1.0. Tomorrow I press, but when I tasted the wine tonight it tasted drastically more tart than it has even just a couple days ago so I took another ph reading and it was 3.45. Is this possible? No acid addition was involved.

You you have yeast growing and producing CO2, , , yes this is possible.
This is like checking TA of Pepsi fresh out of the can seeing it is 0.2, pulling the CO2 out and having a TA of 0.1, with CO2 it is good and without is lifeless. Have seen this with sparkling water and TA fell from .4 to 0.

If you want to cross check microwave 25 ml for about 30 sec stir to force CO2 out, cool and then recheck pH and TA. (TA provides depth/ length to the acidic taste)

10 lugs- 8 cab sauv 2 syrah. I have a cheap ph meter that registered my ph at 3.75 before I pitched the yeast. Did all the normal things- yeast starter, fed the yeast, regular punchdowns. Temps never exceeded 83/84. Current gravity is very close to 1.0. Tomorrow I press, but when I tasted the wine tonight it tasted drastically more tart than it has even just a couple days ago so I took another ph reading and it was 3.45. Is this possible? No acid addition was involved.

Yes, it’s possible. But it’s also possible that the CO2 still in your wine distorted the readings from your meter. For an accurate reading, warm and degas a small sample, then take your pH reading.

Is it possible that my wine has already turned to vinegar? I’m just surprised by the level of tartness. Also- I racked to carboys today and no activity, though I did press at 1.00 on the hydrometer so I’m not sure I should see any activity in the air locks.

Is it possible that my wine has already turned to vinegar? I’m just surprised by the level of tartness. Also- I racked to carboys today and no activity, though I did press at 1.00 on the hydrometer so I’m not sure I should see any activity in the air locks.

Don't trust airlocks to tell you if things are active or not. They are notorious liars. As to is it possible you wine turned to vinegar, probably not it really isn't easy to turn wine into vinegar without spoilage bacteria (or vinegar mother) and air, plus it takes some time for it to happen. The tartness is probably just the CO2 confusing your taste buds.

Back