An article from a Canadian website

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smurfe said:
Just whatare the issues people have with bentonite? What are it's ill effects?

Smurfe
I dont thingkanyone here says bentonite has ill effects. Its just messy and may serve no purpose in the amateurs wine making routine except in whatever may be an emergency situation.
In the kits it is always part of the system. I believe it is strictly to ensure the kit maker that the results will be satisfactory to the end user.
Im trying to see why i cant just stop using it mainle because of the mess. I am beginning to believe that claro at the end will be sufficient in almost all situations.
I believe others have been using claro with great success.

Bentonite also has the interesting property of adsorbing relatively large amounts of protein molecules from aqueous solutions. It is therefore uniquely useful in the process of winemaking, where it is used to remove excessive amounts of protein from white wines. Were it not for this use of bentonite, many or most white wines would precipitate undesirable flocculent clouds or hazes upon exposure to warmer temperatures, as these proteins denature. It also has the incidental use of inducing more rapid clarification of both red and white wines
Bentonite is sold within the alternative health market for its purported cleansing properties. It is usually combined with water and ingested as part of a detox diet.
smiley32.gif
smiley4.gif

bmorosco said:
Bentonite also has the interesting property of adsorbing relatively large amounts of protein molecules from aqueous solutions. It is therefore uniquely useful in the process of winemaking, where it is used to remove excessive amounts of protein from white wines. Were it not for this use of bentonite, many or most white wines would precipitate undesirable flocculent clouds or hazes upon exposure to warmer temperatures, as these proteins denature. It also has the incidental use of inducing more rapid clarification of both red and white wines
Bentonite is sold within the alternative health market for its purported cleansing properties. It is usually combined with water and ingested as part of a detox diet.
smiley32.gif
smiley4.gif
So you are saying that you use it when you make white wines?????
smiley1.gif

Hey I use bentonite and chitozen on my wines made from Canned for the 5 gal batches. Works great. I picked it up from the kits all using them.

I have only used Bentonite a couple times....the first time was really messy....then...The Polish Wine Princess told me to run it through the blender with water...it was light and fluffy and just poured out with no hassles....It cleared the Pineapple/Banana/Apple wine really well....BUT...I felt it made a lot of lees and I lost some volume...I did use Super-Kleer KC too, the wine was brilliantly clear...But...don't care for it at all...Heartburn City!!!!

Northern Winos said:
I have only used Bentonite a couple times....the first time was really messy....then...The Polish Wine Princess told me to run it through the blender with water...it was light and fluffy and just poured out with no hassles....It cleared the Pineapple/Banana/Apple wine really well....BUT...I felt it made a lot of lees and I lost some volume...I did use Super-Kleer KC too, the wine was brilliantly clear...But...don't care for it at all...Heartburn City!!!!

Are you saying that super kleer might have been the cause of the heartburn?????
This item is packed in many kits along with bentonite is it not???Edited by: scotty

scotty said:

Are you saying that super kleer  might have been the cause of the heartburn?????
 This item is packed  in many kits along with bentonite is it not???

The banana flavor sticks around a little too much...won't make that again.....Everyone has different tastes, bananas are not my favorite food to begin with....

"banana flavor sticks around a little too much"

I thought bananas had little to no flavor in wine. I hope not too much as I added some for body (2, very ripe frozen) to my latest batch.

smurfe,

You know it good to go back and refresh on Tim's article and kind of relearn.....thanks

Ramona

Coaster said:
"banana flavor sticks around a little too much"

I thought bananas had little to no flavor in wine.  I hope not too much as I added some for body (2, very ripe frozen) to my latest batch.

I used lots of bananas...probably too many...

I read the article and found the website full of information
Thanks N.W,
smiley14.gif

Latest posts

Back