PH Too Low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I made 2 batches of wine from grapes last spring. I measured the PH for both prior to fermentation and they were in the 3.5 - 3.6 range. I also measured the T/A and I thing I got a faulty reading (they were around 3-4g/l). I panicked and took the T/A reading into considerations and added tartaric acid. Big mistake.

It wasn't until I measured the ph several month later that I discovered that I must've had bad T/A readings because the ph readings for each batch were 3.1 and 3.3. The T/A's for each are around 9g/l

What should I do to correct/increase the ph?
1) I heard that potassium bicarbonate will work at 3.4g/gallon (reduce acidity by .1g/l). Once that it used, it is suggested that the wine go through cold stabilization. The concern w/ cold stabilization in that it could actually lower the ph.

2) Cold Stablization? I heard this can actually lower the ph though

Thank you for your Help!

How does it taste, I didn't think pH of 3.1 to 3.3 was that far off.

They taste a bit tart. Hoping to get them both around 3.5 but that may not be possible with the batch that's currently at 3.1

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

I thought cold crashing did just the opposite. Jack Keller says it can help smooth out an overly acidic wine.

It lowers the T/A (which is what I want) but I think it also has the potential to lower the PH (not what I want).

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Back