Ph meter-How do you store yours?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Storing the ph probe in storage solution has been one giant trial and error so far for me.
When I go 1-2 months without use I find the solution evaporating quickly and residue all over it. So now I put storage solution in a single use buffer packet and Meter into that. Then into a mason jar. With a hole cut to fit meter in but let minimal air exposure to packet with solution in it. IMG_9382.jpg
But I still always end end up with a white chemical buildup all over the meter creeping it’s way up. Doesn’t seem harmful, just annoying.
There’s gotta be some better way to go about this. Do you use the cap, an open beaker? Do you get that residue?

The method will depend on the model and manufacturer recommendations. Keeping the probe hydrated does not necessarily mean full immersion in a storage solution (and which solution to use also varies between manufacturer).

Mine just has a sponge in the cap. The cap is air tight. So the sponge and cap keeps the probe hydrated simply via high humidity. Much like a humidor for cigars. I just keep the sponge moist with the recommended storage solution.

Yep, that buildup.
Yesterday I was checking things in basement and has forgotten my PH55 and it was dry with buildup all over. [emoji30]

I've had the same thing happen to mine several times, so far it has not caused any problems. In the old days, before the meters were well sealed, the crystalline buildup would get into the electronics and trash the whole thing.

Thanks for chiming in. Going from basic winemaking to deeper into the chemistry side of it with no prior experience can be a lot of trial and error im finding.
These little minor details are still part of it, just rarely discussed. I used to use the cap with solution in it. I recall getting frustrated not being able to see the level without removing, and always spilling when removing cap. How I store my meter is constantly changing since nothing seems ideal. But I love the sponge idea and will give that a shot.
I was getting such large amount of salt deposit it jacked up my older cheaper meter by getting into the electronics as well. But I was confident I wasn’t the 1st wannabe chemist to deal with this and look to change some things to prevent it in the future.
In the pics you can see the buildup around the top edge of packets (like a busted freezer) and all over the meters. This amount is typical for about 2 weeks for me. 2 months is much worse. I definitely need to make some changes. IMG_9430.jpg
IMG_9431.jpg

My current meter has a really nice storage device, simple and pretty evaporation free. The image shows the probe and I don't think I've used it since early October. The dried stuff is most likely from me overfilling the vial before I put the meter in to store it. I use the storage solution in the image, move the meter from my chilly basement the day before I take readings up in the kitchen to let things warm up a bit (it's 56.5*F in the basement, almost low enough to make a batch of lager beer (with some of the cleaner yeasts)). When I used my Hanna pHep 5, I'd seal the lower part of the unit in a plastic sandwich bag and use a rubber band to secure it around the base of the unit. I placed both of them upright in a pint mason type jar. This really helped keep the "wicking" effect down quite a bit.

Now, that storage solution isn't real cheap, but my meter has been more stable when taking readings than my pHep 5 has been. I think I may have had a bad temperature sensor in the pHep 5 as my readings jumped all over the place and took several minutes to "calm" down. With my MW-101, there is very little drift in the readings (maybe .05), and although I test it in 3.01, 4.01 and 7.01 solutions every time, I rarely have to adjust the meter (it is a manual adjust meter, no automated circuitry).

12-27-17_milwakee-meter.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar probe design as @ceeaton. I have a small bottle, reused from test solution. Drilled a hole in the cap the size of the probe. An o ring that fits snugly around the probe is under the cap. I just unscrew the cap, leave the o ring and cap on the probe to use it. I use a similar probe storage solution.

I'm glad to see the storage for the MW series. Santa brought me an MW102 for Christmas and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I have "single serve" packets for 4.01 and 7.01, but I don't want to do anything until I have what I need to properly store it.

When you run out of those single serve packets...

I'd get a bottle of the 3.01, 4.01 and 7.01 and the Sodium Hydroxide 0.1N solutions (http://www.piwine.com/testing-reagents-and-buffers.html)
Then I'd get a bottle of this (http://www.piwine.com/potassium-acid-phthalate-n10-solution.html) to test your Sodium Hydroxide solution, as that tends to age rather quickly once exposed to CO2
The Hanna version of the storage solution I use (http://www.piwine.com/electrode-storage-solution-500ml.html) or you can get the Milwaukee stuff on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P35Y6U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

Just give some extra time if you order it from PI WInes, I heard it snowed a little up there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this “CalBox” thing on amazon and ordered it a while back and almost forgot about it (they actually sent 2 by mistake. Along with 2 more buffer bottles. Shelf life?). Anyway I finally set it up, modified slightly so center hole can also have liquid stored in it. I’m sure true blue chemists will laugh, but I dig it. Did the cap/sponge thing too so here’s hoping for smooth sailing. At least for a little while.
I know me. And I know I’ll be getting myself a vinmetrica at some point in the Not too distant future. (Plus my new side gig is making purchases like this seem more and more realistic - investing and day trading some disposable income on the crypto currency market! )

IMG_9503.jpg
IMG_9502.jpg

I saw this “CalBox” thing on amazon and ordered it a while back and almost forgot about it (they actually sent 2 by mistake. Along with 2 more buffer bottles. Shelf life?). Anyway I finally set it up, modified slightly so center hole can also have liquid stored in it. I’m sure true blue chemists will laugh, but I dig it. Did the cap/sponge thing too so here’s hoping for smooth sailing. At least for a little while.
I know me. And I know I’ll be getting myself a vinmetrica at some point in the Not too distant future. (Plus my new side gig is making purchases like this seem more and more realistic - investing and day trading some disposable income on the crypto currency market! )
Where is your wine glass? You can't properly test without wine in the system! Where are your controls...you have to have a starting point to properly evaluate your wine tests...

Where is your wine glass? You can't properly test without wine in the system! Where are your controls...you have to have a starting point to properly evaluate your wine tests...

Lol. You guys tippin carboys today? Errr I mean testing levels?
Wait never mind. It’s the weekend. This is your standard Friday night load I presume. Something I’ve come to expect. When Friday night on WMT becomes your open mic night, then all is right in the world. Saluté

Lol. You guys tippin carboys today? Errr I mean testing levels?
Wait never mind. It’s the weekend. This is your standard Friday night load I presume. Something I’ve come to expect. When Friday night on WMT becomes your open mic night, then all is right in the world. Saluté
Yes, I'm definitely feeling better most Friday nights, for sure. The question is what I feel like on Saturday morning! I think I'm feeling good because all my brothers and sisters and their families are getting together for a while this weekend, looking forward to seeing everyone. Only happens once or twice a year. Now time to start shoveling some snow that fell last night (hoping I can broom it since it's so cold).

Back