PH BUFFERS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I have some 5.2 buffer in my collection. My water is 7.2. before i experiment can any one tell me if using less than the recomended amount of 5.2 will give me a ph somewhere on between 7.2 and 5.2
smiley1.gif

Could you be a little more specific Scotty? What are you trying to do exactly? Calibrate a pH meter? What are you trying to check the pH on?

I am glad someone with some chemistry background finds Scotty's question a bit vague. I was going to ask a similar question, but figured I would let a chemist answer.
smiley4.gif

I think i will just experiment for myself

basically i was wondering if i added for example 1/2 the amount of 5.2 buffer recomended for one gallon of water that was at 7 ph would the result be about 5.2 + 7 =12.2 divided by 2 = prox 6.2

Hey Scotty,

Buffers do not follow the normal rules of math. It won't hurt to experiment and try it and see what you get so go for it!

"A buffer is something that resists changes in pH. Here are the basics of how a buffer works:
pH is a measure of the concentration of free H+ ions in solution. An acid is a chemical that releases H+ ions and a base is a chemical that traps H+ ions."

More buffer info:

"A buffer solution is an aqueous solution consisting of a mixture of a weak acid and its conjugate base or a weak base and its conjugate acid. It has the property that the pH of the solution changes very little when a small amount of strong acid or base is added to it. Buffer solutions are used as a means of keeping pH at a nearly constant value in a wide variety of chemical applications. Many life forms thrive only in a relatively small pH range; an example of a buffer solution is blood."

Probably more than you wanted to know but hopefully it will explain a little on how they work.
smiley23.gif

thats what i needed to know. thanks. I have been reading a few papers written on how to make various buffers wit various chemicals it is an interesting subject.

Thanks all who replyed.
smiley17.gif

Scotty, I am also confused. Are you trying to adjust the pH of wine? If so, buffers are essentially useless for that purpose. Their use is to calibrate a pH meter. Other chemicals may be used to adjust the ph of a must.

Smokegrub said:
Scotty, I am also confused. Are you trying to adjust the pH of wine? If so, buffers are essentially useless for that purpose. Their use is to calibrate a pH meter. Other chemicals may be used to adjust the ph of a must.

I was just wondering if a partial treatment of 5.2 would produce predictable results.

I already have the tools and chemicals to adjust ph up or down. i was basically looking for an easier way.

All under controll now

smiley1.gif
ok thanks.

Latest posts

Back