pH and TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
<DIV id=post_message_140429>I have a RJS winery series Washington Merlot that had been bulk aging for about 7 months. After about 3 months the pH was 3.3 and the TA was .725. I just bulk aged it for about 4 weeks between 32 and 39 degrees F and it did not drop any crystals. This morning I did a re-test and the pH was 3.23 and the TA was .735. My question is, am I too low on the pH (and high on the TA)? I felt I was borderline low with my first test. Most ranges I see for reds is between 3.4 and 3.65. Am I okay or should I make an adjustment?

I wouldn't mess with it. Remember its a kit and has already been messed with 10 times to Sunday in the processing/treatment stage. They also could have added something like Krystalblok to keep wine diamonds from forming.

The pH is a little on the low side for a red wine from fresh grapes but its not unheard of or all that uncommon for a red kit wine. Most I have tested are in the 3.4-3.5 range.

Look on the bright side, the low pH means you will also need way less sulfite!

The cure for this is also worse than the symptom IMHO. As long as it taste good, thats the bottom line and this should make a fantastic wine given the time to age properly.

Back