ph and acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afss

Junior
Reaction score
how does ph relate to the total acid levels in a must?

I recently started a blackberry wine and found it difficult to get an acid level reading on it so i started thinking about getting those dip test strips but i figure before i go get something i might as well find out if they are related and if they will be useful

Thanks

The TA is a measure of how much acid is in the wine, while pH measures how strong that acid is.

I would save my money and get a digital ph meter. They are a little more pricey but are a world of a difference in accuracy and much easier also to read, If you are making a red wine those test stripps become pretty cumbersome to try and see the color change while with a meter you get a digital read out!

should really have both. Most of the time if one is on the other should be close but not always.

If the acid is too high you will have a bitter taste. If the acid is too low, it will be like drinking water.
As I recall, a high Acid gives a low Ph.
If you are doing a kit you really don't need to worry about the acid or Ph.

thanks, i was looking more for a corelation of Ph A= TA B or similar. I am working on fruit wines from scratch so i have to get the TA to an acceptable level and with the blackberry mash i found it very difficult to see the color change on the titration.

My understanding is that ph is the measure of acidity/alkalinity of a liquid. I'm curious as to how this doesn't correlate to total acid. What else affects ph levels besides acid/ alkalai?

Latest posts

Back