Perplexed with SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsa

Junior
Reaction score
I started 2 Chilean juice buckets on May 8th. One Pino Grigio and one Cab/Merlot blend. Starting SG's were 1088 and 1080 respectively. In 12 days the Pino dropped to 992 and was racked to carboy and then stabilized 4 days later.

The Cab/Merlot is the problem. It went from 1080 to 1014 in 12 days and was racked to carboy. Then dropped to 1006 in 4 more days. Then it went to 1003 in another 4 days. It won't budge from 1003 and it's been another 6 days.
Should I go ahead and stabilize and rack or is there something I can do to give it a kick? Thanks.

Sounds stuck. What is the temp of the must? Get it up to 72-74 if its not. Give it a good stir. Its hard to get a stuck fermentation going again.

If it was never below 73 then its stuck. You can try to restart with new yeast but it will be difficult. Rehydrate the new yeast, add nutrient and energizer and say a prayer.

It is still drinkable at 1.003 but you should add Sorbate when you stabilize and fine.

may be gas. Give it a shake or 2.

My juice went to .992 in less than a week.

Like both Mike and Tom said.

How does the wine smell - OK?
You do have it under an air lock, right? That way lots of the CO2 can escape, even though you will still need to degas later.

Since your temperature is good, really stir it well. I would think it is to late to add a yeast nutrient/energizer; it would just hang around and possibly cause problems later.

At 1.003, it is not likely you can add new yeast and get it to start again, even with a good starter. (Without a good starter, it will be virtually impossible.)

If you want to say you have tried everything, try raising the temperature to about 77F, keep it there, stir well, and wait another week.

If it won't go lower, your wine should still be fine. Sometimes these things just happen.

Last edited:
Yes it's been under airlock. It smells fine.

Before reading your post I had already stirred it well and then added yeast solution. I checked it 20 minutes later and I'm now getting bubbles in the airlock. Is it possible that there's fermentation or is that from something else?

I want to be careful with the temperature, I feel it's possible I let it get too high and maybe killed off the yeast. I'm going away tomorrow for 5 days so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Temp would have to get REALLY high to completely kill the yeast! Over 105 degrees. It could be fermenting again but not too likely, check it when you get back it'll be fine.

Could also just be CO2 being release from stirring but lets hope for happy yeasties once again!

If it had only been 20 minutes before bubbling started, it is likely just CO2 being released after heavy stirring.

Unless you prepare a special yeast starter, made specifically for acclimating the yeast to the presence of "high alcohol", the yeast likely died almost immediately after you added it to the wine.

So, how exactly did you make the starter and how did you introduce your wine to that starter?

Just remember what has already been said - it is not a big deal if your wine ends of going into stabilization at 1.003; just be sure and add sobate at stabilization, as Mike already mentioned.

Latest posts

Back