Peptic Enzyme.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussMiner

Junior
Reaction score
As some of you know I’m making a 5 gallon batch of Rhubarb wine. I have racked the wine to my carboy and reattached the airlock as directed. I am wondering if adding peptic enzyme will help when it comes to clearing in a few weeks. My current SG is 1.010 down from 1.080

It's Pectic Enzyme (pectinase) because it breaks down Pectin, a fruit protein. Pepsin is an enzyme in your stomach that helps to digest protein that you eat. A peptic ulcer is when that enzyme begins to autodigest the wall of your stomach or first part of the small intestine. So similar but not the same.

As to how much to use, every preparation is different. Many of us here have come to rely on Lallzyme EX or EX-V. This is a mix of pectinase and other enzymes useful in breaking down the cell walls of grapes. The amount to use is printed on the packaging but it is surprisingly small.. From memory its about 0.1 gm per gallon of must, a bit less for the EX-V.

There is a generic form of Pectinase which uses more. So read the packaging from the supplier.

Yes read the package, enzymes have different activity/ purity levels

- pectic enzyme is less efficient in an alcohol solution, therefore early is better.
- you will not hurt your wine by adding extra, enzyme is a protein and falls into the background material if there isn’t pectin to react.
- pectin is the molecule which can make apple jelly thick without the addition of suregel, rhubarb is relatively low on pectin,,, I do rhubarb wine every year and never add pectase to it.
- pectin unfolds/ holds more water with heat above 60C, I freeze rhubarb and then press the juice out

Latest posts

Back