Peitie Syrah Chemistry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanders

Junior
Reaction score
I had promised my family that we would make wine over the Labor Day weekend; my home syrah harvest was disappointing due to some powdery mold that showed up in early August. So I ordered five gallons of frozen, petite syrah must from Brehm Vinyards. The bucket arrived today and the stated brix is a little higher than I had anticipated - Brix=26.8; Ph=3.54; TA .675%.

I'm interested in crafting a good petite syrah, not just a strong a blending wine. The must is about thawed and I plan to take some final readings and start fermentation on Saturday. I'm thinking about diluting to achieve a lower brix - say 24.5.

I would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Last edited:
If you do, do it sparingly. Petit Syrah often comes in at screaming Brix levels. Just one of the reasons its used to make a Port wine. If you do add water make sure it is acidulated otherwise you will be diluting the acid as well as lowering the ABV and you don't want that.

If you do, do it sparingly. Petit Syrah often comes in at screaming Brix levels. Just one of the reasons its used to make a Port wine. If you do add water make sure it is acidulated otherwise you will be diluting the acid as well as lowering the ABV and you don't want that.

Probably best to leave it alone.

thx

To put yours into perspective my PS last year came in around 16.8% ABV potential. One carboy I did add some acidulated water, the other I fermented out as it was and I plan on making Port with it. Yours is only ~14.3 ABV which is not all that high for a PS. The numbers look pretty good.

I also would not make any adjustments. I make PS all the time an have had very simular experiences. In each case, the PS turned out great.

Are those the numbers on the side of the bucket, or did you test?

Neither, the numbers are posted on the vinyard's website for that specific harvest. The must is still pretty icy, I 'll verify all the data on Saturday before I start the fermentation.

Neither, the numbers are posted on the vinyard's website for that specific harvest. The must is still pretty icy, I 'll verify all the data on Saturday before I start the fermentation.

Yea, I'd re-check to be sure what you are starting with.

Back