Chilean Syrah Winemaking Report

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot007

Reaction score
Spring 2015 Chilean Syrah Winemaking Report

Purchased my imported Chilean Grapes on May 14 (20 cases with a potential yield between 25-30 gallons). I was impressed at the quality of the grapes. They were beautifully packed in 18lb plastic crates. It appears as if the Chileans are very meticulous about providing customers with excellent quality grapes as evidenced by the fact they cut away whatever grape rot existed.

We crushed and destemmed with my brand new manual stainless steel crusher/ Destemmer. It was worth every penny as it saved a boat load of labor. I will eventually add an electric motor/belt to further ease the process.

Brix was at 24. I am punching down the cap 2-3 times a day. The temperature of the must is at 80 degrees. My cellar temperature was originally at 64 degrees and hence I had to warm the cellar to 70 using an electric heater. I anticipate fermentation to be complete by this weekend May 23/24. Of course the final arbiter is the famed hydrometer.

So far the process has been going smoothly. Will keep updating.

Yes, the Chilean grapes are much cleaner because the pickers are trained to perform "field sorting". California grapes are a different story as they are harvested by inexperienced migrant workers that are paid by the pound/crate.

Pressed last week. The free run was excellent. Beautiful color. Great taste for a first sample. Placed K-Meta. Now the process of malolactic fermentation will begin. First racking will take place this Tuesday about 10 days post press. Overall the process has been outstanding.

Will keep everyone informed.

Pressed last week. The free run was excellent. Beautiful color. Great taste for a first sample. Placed K-Meta. Now the process of malolactic fermentation will begin. First racking will take place this Tuesday about 10 days post press. Overall the process has been outstanding.

Will keep everyone informed.

How much K-Meta did you add?
Do you have any pictures that you could share??

Latest posts

Back