Pectin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good to know -- thanks for posting.

In general I add pectic enzyme to fruit wines prior to fermentation, so there's no need to test. Also keep in mind that depending on what was added to the test glass, it may render it poisonous.
I would appreciate a bit of explanation about the "poisonous" part. I am unaware of what the problem is.I never consume what I put in the test glass.

I would appreciate a bit of explanation about the "poisonous" part. I am unaware of what the problem is.I never consume what I put in the test glass.
Bob said it. When I saw "rubbing alcohol", my first thought was, "danger, danger, Will Robinson!" I keep anything that cannot go in the wine in a separate drawer from additives.

If testing with hardware, e.g., hydrometer, the wine is fine as long as everything is clean and sanitized. I use a FermTech wine thief to check SG, as it's wide enough to accept a hydrometer, and release the wine back into the container when done. I keep the thief clean and sanitize before use.

ANY chemical? Yup -- toss it!

Bob said it. When I saw "rubbing alcohol", my first thought was, "danger, danger, Will Robinson!" I keep anything that cannot go in the wine in a separate drawer from additives.

If testing with hardware, e.g., hydrometer, the wine is fine as long as everything is clean and sanitized. I use a FermTech wine thief to check SG, as it's wide enough to accept a hydrometer, and release the wine back into the container when done. I keep the thief clean and sanitize before use.

ANY chemical? Yup -- toss it!
The thief just doesn't work for 1 gallon batches

Latest posts

Back