How

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: based on a calculator I found. 11.5% alcohol in 6oz is 112 calories so they are falsly advertising.
----‐------------------
Hey all,
I came across a production prosecco brut. They claim they are 43 calories per 6oz at 11.5% alcohol. How can this be possible. Syltbar is the brand.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The correct number might be 143 calories per six ounce serving. ie this is a misprint no one caught.

Alcohol has calories. Form a technical point of view to produce a beverage with 43 calories I might remove enough of the alcohol to get into a range where I might claim to be alcohol free.
It's definitely not a misprint. This is wha they claim. It doesn't make sense to me though. The only reason I'm curious is because we seriously cut back on alcohol to save calories and this would be a decent substitute if legit but it seems fishy to me.

Looking at Syltbar's website, the claim is merely that it is a (wait for it!) dry wine. They ignore the calories in the ethanol. My words, not theirs, but here are some of their words:

syltbar.jpg

Basically, they are producing a dry sparking wine and then touting it as lo-cal.

Looking at Syltbar's website, the claim is merely that it is a (wait for it!) dry wine. They ignore the calories in the ethanol. My words, not theirs, but here are some of their words:

View attachment 110636

Basically, they are producing a dry sparking wine and then touting it as lo-cal.
So they are ommitting information. I messaged then and said pretty much exactly this yesterday. Theu probably won't respond. I said I know a dry wine naturally has low to zero sugar. How can this only have 49 calories and 11.5%?
I wrote a little more but thays the jist.

The correct number might be 143 calories per six ounce serving. ie this is a misprint no one caught.

Alcohol has calories. Form a technical point of view to produce a beverage with 43 calories I might remove enough of the alcohol to get into a range where I might claim to be alcohol free.
My brain isn't going to understand this but maybe you could make sense of it,lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_105246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_105246_Chrome.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 0
I haven't fully digested it (no pun intended), but it drives me insane when people do math like that. They are using the = sign to mean something DIFFERENT from "the left side equals the right side." Also, using : to mean division is, welll, different!

I may try and give it a go to figure out, but I may not, too.

I haven't fully digested it (no pun intended), but it drives me insane when people do math like that. They are using the = sign to mean something DIFFERENT from "the left side equals the right side." Also, using : to mean division is, welll, different!

I found a calculator and just off the abv% it has 112 calories. They are full of shit and false advertising.
16.1 g of alcohol per 6oz serving
16.1 x7 (cal/g)= 112.7 cal of alcohol in 6oz

Well they do claim the calories are measured off the glucose and not the ABV. So maybe they are technically correct.
If I did that with products in the national grocery distribution network I would be facing an FDA enforcement action, recalling because it is mislabeled, some pretty hefty disposal costs.

As a technical industry person, it is not technically correct, it is technically illegal.

If I did that with products in the national grocery distribution network I would be facing an FDA enforcement action, recalling because it is mislabeled, some pretty hefty disposal costs.

As a technical industry person, it is not technically correct, it is technically illegal.
I've been messaging them and all the do is give me convoluted answers or not even address the original question.

I was hoping you would reply with the correct answer. Of course no one tries to skirt the issue. Looks like they are wanting to ship it to you, so they may not have any other distribution and therefore hoping to slide under radar

They are in Florida, maybe that's how math works there.

My guess as to why they aren't responding to the technically illegal part is that what they are advertising and saying is 49 calories from glucose in the final product. They are not claiming only 49 calories in an entire glass. The chart posted above shows the total calories in a glass of 166. It's probably all legal and above board, just misleading, a little bit and not a number that really tells the whole story.

Latest posts

Back